They should take product off the shelfs

I am posting this in memory of all the kitties I lost last year as well as all the animals that have died or got sick because of flea products.

In september of 2008 I used the Hartz Ultra Guard Products on my cats.
On September 7 Harley got very sick. I thought he might have gotten sick some how, He passed away within a 24 hr period.

Then more of them started to show signs of the same thing as I either washed them with the shampoo or sprayed them with the spray. I lost Chouji, LuLu and the 2 kittens Dazey and Lotus in a three day perion from the 23rd to the 25th of September.And all the other’s seemed to have colds.

I started second guessing everything. retracing my steps. I had bought a new cat food and thought that it was the reason they were sick. I threw all the food out and called the company. They took the food for testing. some one from the Dept. of Agriculture came and took samples of food and flea products.

When I started to notice they were feeling alot better, thinking it was the food. I washed the few more that needed to be done in October. And then I lost them Sassy, Akina and 2 more kittens Spooky and Spike. Only Piper got well .

I was told by the vet that it was the flea product. I had to wash every cat with baby shampoo, all there bedding, etc. I fought very hard to keep them from getting any worse but the vet saifd there was nothing i could do the chemical was in there blood stream.

Hartz uses a chemical in there product called Permethrin and that they had got Permethrin poisoning. In doing research about Permethrin Poisoning/..Toxicity, I have come across hundreds of heartbreaking stories about Hartz and other products .

Why are these products still on the shelfs. Why wont they take any action to make there products safe for animals. I am posting this to protect any other animals from getting sick due to the negligence of Hartz . Please don’t use these products on your pets. It is not safe!!

To all the Babies(..kitties) i have lost please rest in peace and know that mommy will continue to fight until all these products are pulled off the shelfs and made safe for animals.

Petition for the Discontinuation of Harmful Products

We, the undersigned, respectfully DEMAND the discontinuation.. of the retail sale of ANY & ALL Pet Care Products that contain ANY ingredient that may harm, permanently damage or kill domestic pets. Please sign electronically by stating:name and “I support this petition.”
Mary Hibbert “I support this petition”
kim keyser I support this petition
Stefanie Van Nest “I Support This Petition”
Julia Zielinski “I support this petiton”
Linda Dadd ” I support This Petition”
Dawn Tompkins “I support this petition”

Story of our family pet Mr. Mc Nalley

Wendy Adams
[email protected]

My name is Wendy Hale-Adams and I am sharing the story of our family pet Mr. Mc Nalley.
Our 7yr. Old cat was a wonderful part of our family and he was taken from us tragically by flea medicine. I thought I was doing something good for him and instead I unconsciously poisoned a family member. My guilt is unbearable, but what would be more unbearable would be if I stayed silent so more animals suffered a tragic horrendous death that is preventable. It is only preventable if people know!!!
Our cat was given flea medicine and within an hour he was foaming at the mouth and having tremors. I rushed him to the emergency vet clinic and they quickly asked about flea medicine. At that point they rushed him to the back and began their work to save his life. The vet came and said to me and my 11 yr. old son that our cat had Pyrethrin Toxicity. They started IV fluids and gave him a bath, of course they had to sedate him in order to do this. My son and I sat in the room listening to our cat yowl in pain. They sent us home with instructions to come back in the morning and move him to his regular vet to be monitored for the day. This is what we did, and the outcome looked good. At this point he was responsive, and even wanted to be loved. I had him monitored at my vet and at the end of the day they said I could bring him home, although he was having small seizures, which I understood would eventually go away. I had his seizure meds and brought him home to be more comfortable. I put him in a small area with food/water and cat box as to monitor him. I watched him all night having small seizure every hour. I talked and soothed him through this. When it was time for his meds I gave them to him. Our Mc Nalley was eating/drinking and using the cat box. The next morning I thought he was getting better as he sat and cleaned himself, but then he started seizing again and acting crazy, almost fighting with himself. I rushed him to the vet even though they weren’t open yet, confident that someone would be there. 5 minutes later I am pounding on the window of the vet sobbing, they all run out and our cat is seizing so badly you can’t even hold the cat carrier. Our Mc Nalley never made it back from that seizure, he was comatosed. We tried everything but his fever had gone so high, then he needed water pulled from his brain, his glucose level dropped, then he needed plasma. By the next day he was in renal failure.
3 days is how long I let it go on. My son kept saying “he’s so strong, he has never been sick, please mom just one more day”. You see I had explain to my son about a choice to let him go if I thought he was in pain and agony! I should of let him go after the last horrible seizure, but I still thought there might be hope! I was wrong! I sat with our family cat while the vet administered the final dose of medicine. I told him how sorry I was and that I gave him that flea medicine, I told him I would do everything I could to share our story, I told him we loved him and to be at peace. He looked at me with the one eye that would open, his body immobile, praying he could hear me.
We grieve, it has been 4 days and my son has bad dreams, our 14 yr. old German Shepherd is sad without her baby. She adopted him when he was a kitten, so cute. And I write this letter in hopes that I can get the word out to not use over the counter flea meds on your beloved family pets. I watch the news, I read the paper, in my 40+ yrs. I never heard anything about this poisoning. In fact this toxic drug is not even listed on the packaging for ingredients. How can this be? The EPA has said there is an increase in reports about this toxic drug. Our economy is down so people are penny pinching. When it comes to your pets, the cost is much higher in the end!
Please help get the word out!
You can reach me through [email protected]