I believe my kittens were killed by Hartz Milk Replacer

I wish I had known the horrible stories about Hartz Milk Replacer for kittens before I had given it to my babies.I rescued 5 little girls after their mother passed away.I was feeding them milk replacer from my vet,and one afternoon I ran out.So I went to Walmart and bought Hartz precision nutrition milk replacer not knowing that days later I will lose three of my girls.Last Wednesday my girl named Charmin and on Thursday my girl Phyllis were put to sleep.And yesterday afternoon my girl Dottie had to go and be put down also. The symptoms are the same as I have been reading on here. Vomiting,off balance,falling over when trying to walk,unconsciousness,glassy stare,and unresponsive. My vet thought it was hypoplasia not thinking it could of been the milk they were drinking. My babies were 5 weeks old doing great until I fed them that milk. Then yesterday afternoon I thought what if it is the milk. I never in my wildest dreams would of thought I would of found this website,and people with the same thing as I went through. The guilt I feel is unbelievable. Sure you can say I didn’t  know that the milk was gonna kill my babies,but it doesn’t change the fact that the guilt will always be there. Why is this product even allowed to be on the shelves. How many other people will go through what I went through and not realize it is the very product that they thought was gonna help their kittens. Hartz needs to be taught a lesson. If there is anything I can do I am there to help. I don’t want others to suffer like I have.

Hartz Flea Shampoo Killed my 3 Kittens

This was way back in 1989 but the emotional trauma of what I suffered watching my 3 kittens die is still very much with me. I had a female cat that I rescued from outside my home one winter, she gave birth to three kittens, adorable little tabbies. We fell in-love instantly and named them. There was Cricket, Buddy & Peanut. When they turned 16 weeks old I felt they were old enough to bathe in a flea shampoo to rid them of the fleas momma cat has passed on to them at birth. And according to HARTZ’S FLEA SHAMPOO instructions they only had to be at least 12 weeks old for their product to be safely used. So being that these kittens were 16 weeks old I felt safe in using it. BIG MISTAKE! I applied the shampoo as instructed and within MINUTES, ALL THREE STARTED RUNNING IN CIRCLES AND MEWING URGENTLY WITH A FRIGHTENED LOOK ON THEIR FACES. Soon after Cricket started foaming at her little mouth and gasping for air, Buddy started having foam come out his NOSE and MOUTH, Peanut grew very weak and listless and flopped over like a dead fish and lay gasping for air mewing in silent cries. I rushed them to the sink and re-rinsed them over and over as they grew weaker in my hands. I would rinse one and pass it to my (then 9 years old) daughter to dry off and try to rub them back to life, while I rinsed the other and so on. Finally 10 minutes into the horrific ordeal I panicked and called the emergency number of a local vet who said that it sounded like they had been poisoned and were too far gone to do anything for them because by the time “they start foaming the poison has entered their blood stream and it’s too late to save them” quote, un-quote. The vet also suggested I keep rinsing them with clear water and maybe they might pull out of it but to prepare for the worst. I crying started begging him to come help me, I would pay him holiday pay and after hours pay to just come so these babies wouldn’t suffer as they were literally suffocating in this thick foam oozing from their noses and mouths. He apologized and said there was nothing he could do for them, to call animal control and maybe they could help me. I called animal control and the lady who said there was nothing they could do either still came over quickly because I told her that I wanted a witness to what we were seeing and what the kittens were suffering. She sat with me and we ALL cried as we held these tiny babies in our hands watching them grow more and more listless and cold, all the while making gasping mewing movements with their tiny mouths like fish out of water,silent screams for help and gasping to try to get air in their lungs to breathe. They lived for another 30 minutes. Suffering ungodly pain and torture as they suffocated to death in this poisonous foam. My daughter had nightmares for months afterwards and she and I both still cry at the memories of how these kittens suffered. I called Hartz the very next day-a Monday-and was told that they had never had any complaints before and that they would gladly send me a box to return the actual bottle of shampoo to them for inspection. I stated that without the bottle I would have no proof of what I had used and what if it disappeared or was mysteriously lost in the mail? They assured me this would not happen and they would insure that I was advised of every step that bottle made from arrival to the results of their testing. So I agreed and sent them the bottle. And waited for their call. It never came. I ended up (almost to the point of harassment) calling and calling them for days on end for three months and nothing. Finally almost 4 months later I was able to reach an actual Hartz person because I threatened to sue them, and was firmly told they had NO RECORD of my name, my calling, or ANY complaints from anyone and did I have the bottle to prove it was their product I had used. I hung up in frustration and have vowed to insure no other cats are EVER killed by Hartz products again and voice it to anyone willing to listen. HARTZ PRODUCTS KILL CATS! PERIOD. And Hartz is insensitive and could care less because they are protected by bylaws and wordy powerful attorneys who know how to manipulate the system to insure they are not held accountable. So the next best thing is to boycott their products until they’re removed from consumer markets. DON’T BUY HARTZ PRODUCTS. Please! Save yourselves the heartache my daughter and I still keenly feel to this day….and If you value your sanity and the lives of your cats DO NOT USE HARTZ PRODUCTS ON THEM EVER!!!

Beware! Hartz 2 in 1 Flea & Tick Cat Spray

My neighbor’s cat had kittens over 3 months ago. They were unwanted and living under a porch, being fed scraps of human food. My family adopted one over a month ago. On June 28th another was found dead in the street. I decided to go ask for the others, despite not being able to keep them, to ensure they would find good, safe homes. They were so infested with fleas that we could not bring them into our home. I tried bathing them in dish soap, but that didn’t do any good. They seemed to be suffering so bad that I bought Hartz 2 in 1 Flea & Tick Cat Spray. The bottle says to not spray on cats under 12 weeks. The vet has told me that these cats are definitely over 12 weeks. I did not spray on the full dosage of around 26 sprays. I sprayed 10 or less on each. I then rubbed them off with towels to get any excess off. Then, despite them acting normal, something inside told me this stuff wasn’t good. At that time, I hadn’t heard anything about how bad Hartz is. Our family has always used flea collars and flea shampoo, so we trusted the company. I gave the kittens baths less than an hour after spraying them. I scrubbed them thoroughly, but that didn’t get all of it off. It appeared that one had diarrhea-like symptoms, but it was not bad and I thought it might be due to their change in diet. They acted perfectly normal. On July 1 my sister and I went out to take them for a walk. We took one out and he was slipping on the porch as he walked, as if walking on ice. His legs were falling out from under him. We took him on the grass and the same thing happened. I immediately knew it must have to do with the flea spray. I called the vet and was told I had to get them there asap or they would die, because “that stuff is like poison in a bottle.” We raced there. The cat with the symptoms could not walk very well at all, as if it was on some sort of drug or alcohol. They also believe it might have gone blind. The kittens are still at the vet now. That kitten is still having trouble walking. I am not sure if it has or will regain site. There will likely be long-term effects. I believe the only reason it looks like they are going to pull through is because we were able to get them to the vet before further, more severe symptoms developed. The vet told me that every over-the-counter flea/tick treatment is unsafe and should be banned! This means that HARTZ is not the only evil! Never buy over-the-counter flea products. On top of this, it usually does not kill the bugs. If you have a flea collar on any of your animals, take it off immediately. These products are also unsafe for humans and should not be in our homes.