Yesterday two cats, Ali & Penelope, almost died due to Sentry Purrfect for Cats & Kittens. After finding fleas my friend called her vet, after a short conversation the vet recommend she go ahead & buy something over the counter. So my friend headed to Petsmart where they recommended Sentry. Even after asking if it was okay they insisted it was fine & that all she needed to do was read the instructions. She headed home & Put the application RIGHT where it said and sat down. Minutes later her cat started to jump around and run all over the place, then she started to foam at the mouth. Scared out of her mind she washed both cats with Dawn dish soap (She complained how oily the stuff was). Dried them off & they were both fine. She even called the company (Sentry) to tell them that her cat was having a reaction to there product. All the lady said was “You did it wrong, your fault” & did nothing else. So she hung up & called a few emergency vets all of which wouldn’t take her in or told her to wait it out that it was ‘just a reaction’. She kept watch on her cat until 7am when I got a text. I rushed over with my cat carrier only to find her cat with what WE thought was constant seizures, come to find out it was tremors. She continued to call more emergency vets just for them to tell her don’t bother, it’s just a reaction. Feeling it was ‘more’ than a reaction we rushed her to the vet only to find out that she was poisoned. The minute my friend gave her the application it started to seep into her skin & caused her body to shut down, it was only a matter of minutes before she would pass.
Later on in the evening after already having to put an animal down her other cat started to act funny. Her tail twiched, her legs when out, & her eyes were twitching back & forth. After one call she found a vet to take her in asap so she rushed over and they managed to administer medicine quickly & stop the tremors. After a round of blood work the vet said she TO had traces of the toxin somehow (She didn’t have it applied to her) and her body was trying to fight it. She was shocked to hear a vet had recommenced using something over the counter & even more so how many told her to ‘wait it out’. Ali is home now doing better & on meds. for 3 days but Penelope sadly wasn’t going to make it & was put to sleep her body had already started to shut down.
We had 3 cats and 1 dog at our house and now we just have 1 cat and 1 dog. Our story is very sad and no one else needs to go through it.
Yesterday we noticed a flea on one of our russian blues, we went to buy some flea controll, Hartz was the brand we decided to purchase. We get home and put the flea controll on all of our animals. Later on in the evening we started to noticed that our 2 russian blues were acting strange. There body movements were jerky, the face was twiching, there meow was weak. Shortly after they both started to have seizurs. At this point we decided to put down the 2 cats. We could not watch them suffer anymore. It was a horrible experiance and no one should have to deal with this kind of loss.
If I would have research this product and found this site we would never bought it.
This product should be taken off the store shelves so no one else have to suffer the lose that we endured last night. Hartzs need to change there packaging to say it may cause death if used. Right now all it says is that there might be some sensitivity to the product. To me that says nothing about death or the side effects that it may cause. Only if we would have know maybe our loved ones would still be with us.
R.I.P Tika and Carneilius. You will always be in our hearts.
I am still trying to hold back the tears and having a hard time letting go of the guilt. Our Vet had advised in using a safer flea protection for our cats and suggested some of the products that they sell. I did not do any research and decided that I would try to go with a cheaper brand. I purchased Hartz UltraGuard PRO last week and gave both of my cats applications on Sunday evening. During Monday morning feeding time my loving cat Winky did not come to eat even though I called several times. After searching I found him unable to get up or move. I took him to the Vet immediately and after exam was told that he was critical and I needed to make a decision. I signed a release in order for the Vet to treat and try to save Winky. Unfortunately it was too late….he didn’t last long.
Through my own ignorance of not doing research and not keeping close check on my cats after the application, there is yet another victim. Please keep informed for your pet’s sake and help in the campaign to keep poisons out of pet care products.
I don’t have a personal story, but I just wanted to say that I am an RVT and have worked in a clinic for 9 years, I have seen neurological, skin and behavior reactions to these cheap flea products, some have resulted in death and some in permanent damage. There have been too many to count, it’s a tragedy that these products are on the market and so easy to buy. Something must be done. This page is a great start.
My niece asked to see Cujo as she hadn’t seen her in a while, when I took her downstairs I found Cujo sitting under a chair breathing heavy as if she couldn’t breathe. Her eyes were half closed and she just looked like something wasn’t right with her. She then walked upstairs and walked fairly slowly. When she got upstairs she defecated on herself as she had diarrhea and she threw up a couple of times. It was late at night so I contacted an ER vet. I explained the problem and they told me to come in immediately. I brought her in and she was a totally different cat. She was alert, bright eyed and appeared fine. The vet checked her vitals, looked her over and said she appears fine. He offered to perform a series of tests that totalled about $250, but said he thinks she’s perfectly fine and that there shouldn’t be a problem so I did not get the tests. As soon as I got her home, she was vomiting all over the place, barely able to breathe and she went into a corner to hide. She died soon after. I immediately thought of the product I applied to her a couple of days prior (Hartz Ultra Guard Plus spray). I followed the instructions as directed on the label and sprayed her entire coat with an even spray all around. Cujo licked all of this off of her and a couple of days later, she passed.
about 2 months ago i had bought some of the hartz gold flea and tick drops for my 11 years old chiuaua, tiny. He was my heart and my love. well he is not with me today because i had to put him down because he was suffering. MY MOM HAD PUT IT ON HIM AND HER CHIUAUA TO. THEY BOTH STARTED YELPING AND WHINING ABOUT 30 MINUTES AFTER SHE HAD PUT THIS POISENED ON BOTH OF OUR DOGS. SHE NOTICED THAT THERE WERE BURN MARKS COMING UP ON THEIR SKIN. SOME EVEN LOOKED LIKE BLISTERS. THEY WERE BURNING SO BAD. THE AGONIZING PAIN THAT THEY WERE GOING THROUGH WAS UNCALL FOR. SHE CONTINOUSLY GAVE THEM BATHS OVER AND OVER. AT LEAST 5 TO 6 THAT DAY. THE NEXT DAY SHE TOOK BOTH OF THEM TO THE VET. THEY BOTH HAD TO BE MEDICATED. THE VET TOLD HER THAT THE HARTZ GOLD FLEA AND TICK DROPS MIGHT OF MESSED UP THEIR ORGANS AND NERVES. WELL UNFORTUNATELY IT DID! MY MOM’S DOG TURNED OUT TO BE OK BECAUSE HE WAS A LITTLE YOUNGER. BUT MINE DID’NT. HE ENDED UP HAVING DIABETES AT FIRST. HE WOULDN’T EAT. AND WHEN HE DID EAT, HE WOULD THROW IT UP.IT CONTINOUSLY GOT WORSE. HE ALSO ENDED UP WITH CUSHIONS DISEASE. I HAD TO FINALLY LAY HIM DOWN TO REST ON SUNDAY APRIL THE 13TH AT 5:00 PM . IT WAS SO PAINFUL!! BEFORE THE FLEA AND TICK MEDICINE HE WAS ALWAYS A HAPPY, CHEERFUL, AND LOVING TINY UNTIL THE POISEN THAT IS ON THESE SHELVES ARE BEING SOLD HURTING ALL THESE ANIMALS OUT THERE IN THIS WORLD. PLEASE DO NOT USE ANY OVER THE COUNTER FLEA AND TICK MEDICATION BECAUSE IT COULD KILL YOUR LOVE ONE!