Over the weekend my mother had bought some Hartz flea shampoo for my dog. By Wednesday of that week Molly had begin to vomit. By Thursday she was unable to eat any dog food because she could not keep it down. She vomited at least seven times Thursday evening. Thursday night she also started having diarrhea. At 12:00am her face started to swell, so bad she could barely see. When I called the vet he told me to bring her in first thing the next morning. When I got up the next morning to take her to the vet, I noticed that her swelling had gotten worse over night and she was now breaking out in hives. The vet said that Molly had had an allergic reaction. Last night I noticed that her chest had what looked to be blood under the skin. The swelling in her face has went down, but has moved to her chest and her shoulders. I am stilling keeping a close eye on her, hoping that I acted in time.

MY BABY BOY IS IN THE HOSPITAL RIGHT NOW

I am a volunteer and Board member for the Nittany Beagle Rescue in State College, PA. About a month ago, the President moved to Maine and I decided to keep one of the little guys that had been up for adoption. This little guy’s name is Boy and that’s his name because his owner (of 8 years) couldn’t have cared less about him and didn’t even give him a name. He hadn’t seen a vet until he came to the rescue and right before he came, he had a hematoma removed from his left ear. Now, he has a chronic yeast infection in his ears and one of his ears are actually crinkled. On Wednesday night, I purchased Hartz flea and tick to give to my dogs. At 8 pm I gave Boy his dose (keep in mind that I gave him the 18-33 lb dose and he’s 28 lbs). A half hour later he had a Grand Mal seizure. He vomitted 5 times uncontrollably before I could get him in the car to go to the hospital. I can’t tell you how much this entire experience has broken my heart. He should be okay but has to stay in the hospital for another day. TELL EVERYONE NOT TO PURCHASE HARTZ PRODUCTS. I can’t believe that there is a product on the market that nearly killed my baby Boy.

Victim of Hartz

Last year we bouhgt Hartz flea drops for our dogs. We put the drops on the dogs as directed and within a few days, we noticed all the hair coming off the dogs where we had put the drops. We contacted Hartz and told them what had happened to our dogs. They refunded our money. Now we go to the vet to get our flea drops. Something has to be wrong with this product.

Linda Harbin
Whitesburg, Tennessee

Hartz needs to be held responsible.

I have four cats. Two of them are fairly big. Two are small, around 4 pounds. Since the drops only came in a pack of 3, I decided to use a full tube on each of the bigger cats, and split the last between the two smaller ones. About 4 hours later, my Svetlana came staggering up to my son, who then brought her to me. She was trembling and convulsing and couldn’t catch her breath. After about an hour of this, she went into some VERY severe seizures. I thought that I had lost her. Since it was on a Saturday night, the emergency vet told me it would cost me about $500 to help her. I definitely can’t afford that. I don’t mind spending money to keep my pets healthy, but it really makes me angry to be pressured to spend ridiculous amounts because of an uncaring, greedy company, (Hartz, of course). I want this product off the market once and for all. I know that it can be done. I am willing to help in any way I can. It was heartbreaking to watch that poor little cat suffer, especially at my own hands. Hartz definitely needs to answer to this.

Penni Herrick

I went out to wal-mart to purchase some Hartz products for my animals. Not knowing what I would experience. I put the drops on my two cats and 1 dog. I used the spray for the kitten. Thirty minutes after putting this on my little kitten he began having convulsions. We took him to our emergancy vet after we were told to wash him three times and wash all the other animals as well. The vet thought he might have pulled thru the ordeal but the next morning we awoke to him in pain and having several convulsions one right after the other. We had to rush him back to our vet and they are treating him but they are not sure if he will pull thru or not. He is fighting for his life at this moment. No one should have to go thru this nightmare. Our animals are our childern, whom we love very much. To watch something you love in pain from a product you thought as safe is crazy. Instead of the product saying “kills tick and fleas” it should say “kills your pets on contact”. I wonder if Hartz would treat their own animals with the product they market and swears it’s safety. I pray we can take them down one day. I sit and worry every minute and pray I don’t get a phone call telling me the worst.

Penni Herrick

Hartz Poisons My Alfie

One year and eight months ago I applied Hartz Flea drops to my cat, Alfie. I never realized there was trouble with this product. Frankly, I had been using it for years on two of my other cats and friends cats when they stayed with me. I am surprised I never poisoned a cat before Alfie. So, in all confidence I bought them at the store (the gentle formula as it was new and I thought better). I always apply flea meds on the 18th of the month at around 6 PM. Unknowingly I went off to bed.

At 5 AM I awoke to feed my pets and give Cativo his insulin shot. I noticed Alfie under a chair but didn’t think much about it. When I returned, I still noticed Alfie under a chair, only this time I noticed he was shaking. I went over and tried to get him out, he couldn’t move. I don’t know how I made the connection, but I immediately thought he’d been poisoned. It was the first time Alfie had anything besides Revolution for kittens. I had just moved and thank God I had asked my new vet for directions to the ER vet in case my beloved Cativo had hypoglycemia.

I rushed to the phone and called the ER vet’s office. They told me to wash his back as best I could and rush him there. The entire time I was so scared I would lose him. He looked so frightened and helpless. I scrubbed as much off as I could, put him in his carrier and rushed out the door with the Hartz package in hand.

When I arrived at the ER vet, they immediately went to work bathing him and pumping him full of IVs. The ER vet looked at the package and said, “Hartz? Never use Hartz. If you have to use over-the-counter, use bio-spot or something but never Hartz.” I said, “If that’s the case, why doesn’t anyone warn us?” I never did get a satisfactory answer. I was there two hours while they fought for Alfie’s life.

Later, I drove Alfie to my regular vet with the other three cats in tow. I wasn’t going to take any chances. I still didn’t know if it was just the gentle formula or all Hartz. My regular vet amazingly told me the same thing, Hartz is the most common cause of this reaction. I asked him why my other cats had never reacted. He said he didn’t know. What he told me is that Hartz, Revolution and Advantage use different formulas with different main ingredients. The ingredient in Hartz seems to have the most adverse reactions. I left Alfie there for treatment and my other cats to have baths and to be observed for reactions.

When I got to work, I called my old vet. He told me the same thing. Three vets in three different cities with the same story! If this was so well known, how is it that I didn’t know? Why was this killer product still on the shelves?

Alfie cost me almost $300 that day, but thank God Hartz didn’t cost him his life. I have heard this story over and over since then and Hartz remains on the shelves. If this has happened to you, I encourage you to tell everyone you see in the pet ailse at the stores or in a petstore. Talk to your local stores and encourage them to pull Hartz. Talk to your vet about always asking what flea medication their clients use or display a prominent sign that Hartz can kill! Talk to your shelters about warning new adopters never to use Hartz flea drops on their cats. Send your story to your local newspaper, radio station or TV station. The more who know, the more chance of saving lives.

Sincerely,

Zanne and Alfie