All of our babies died because of Hartz! We had 2 cats and 1 Chihuahua. Because they weighed about the same, we gave them Hartz Ultraguard Pro (for cats & kittens 12 weeks and older) – this was on January 7th, 2019. We were very concerned that the dosage called for one whole vial per pet, so we gave our 1 cat and chihuahau THREE drops, and our other cat ONE drop since she’s more skinny. Not even 1/4 of one vial was used on all 3 of them. On January 16th, our cat who got 3 drops had to be put down. On January 17th, our chihuahua died minutes after I got him to the vet. And on January 26th, our other cat passed away here at home after a long night of suffering. These drops were the ONLY thing different that we did with our babies. How is this still being sold?!?!?
This morning started like any other, until i put hartz flea drops on my dog and my cat. Within an hour my kitty, who wasn’t quite 2 years old, had dropped dead. It happened so quickly i never saw any symptoms, and didn’t have a chance to react. My heart is broken. How could they sell this when it is so deadly? My furbaby was so lively, healthy and strong. And some stupid $5 product took him from me. It’s not right and it’s not fair.
I bought the flea collar having used one from a different brand preciously with no issues. Not long after wearing it my cat Batman was not acting himself, and very lethargic and still itching like he was irritated. It was only after I lifted the collar to reveal not only were there still fleas on him but the collar had chemically burned half of his neck to the point most of his fur had fell out and was red raw to his skin. I am so angry at the pain and suffering he has endured all because of this stupid product. After reading a lot of other peoples stories I’m just thankful he is still alive 🙁
I am writing to report a firsthand account of a dangerous product, as well as indicate a pattern of abuse by the pet product company ‘Hartz’.
In October 2018, I used their “Ultraguard” flea prevention medication as directed on my domestic rescue cat. A couple days later, he developed vomiting and loss of appetite. A rash had developed on the application site, so I monitored him for the following days. He became lethargic and weak, so I took him to the vet.
They explained that he was exhibiting poisoning symptoms, and I told them I used the Hartz product. They told me that this was an inferior product and that they often saw symptoms like these with this medication. I was flabberghasted. The vet billed hundreds for re-hydration, anti-nausea, and appetite stimulation to save my cat from the brink of death.
I contacted Hartz immediately, and their poison control center advised that I wash him in dish soap to get their product off his coat. I did. His condition improved in the following days. I contacted Hartz again, and they advised that I send the remaining product in for samples so they could recall them and test for contaminants as to why it made my cat sick, and that they would cover the medical costs associated with his poisoning.
Months went by without any further correspondence from Hartz. Finally, last week I received a letter from Hartz claiming no responsibility, despite the clear evidence that their product harmed my cat. The treatment did not even help with his fleas, so I’ve since used a natural remedy instead.
I searched online about Hartz, and found hundreds of other stories similar to mine, dating back over a decade. There was also a class action lawsuit against the company that was settled out of court. Links below.
Hartz company has demonstrated systemic apathy regarding their chemical abuses on animals. It is undeniably evident that the company has brought illness and death to literally hundreds, perhaps thousands of household pets over many years. I have documented evidence and retained all correspondence with the vet, Hartz, etc.
Please help spread this news to help protect pets and pet-owners. Thank you!
My 9 month old Kitty Has Been sleeping constantly ever since I treated her for ear mites with Hartz ..
I feel so guilty , instead of helping her Ive made her very ill.
I loved my dog.
My dog loved to fart.
Hartz had a “cure” for that.
IT KILLED HER!!!
I would rather smell my dog’s farts than Hartz.
On Christmas Eve 2018, my wife and I went to Walmart and bought new Hartz flea/tick collars for our Bernese and our Great Pyrnees. That afternoon we bathed the Bernese using Harzt Flea and tick Shampoo. Being from CO. we have never had to use these items. On 12/27, my wife told texted me and said the Bernese was acting very odd. Normally she is very active and LOVES to chase a ball, but not on this day. She was somewhat lethargic and was having the “shakes”. She would not eat or go to the bathroom. As I was out of state, I told her to keep an eye on her. I arrived home on Friday night (12/28) to a dog that normally goes crazy when I walk in the door. It was not the case this night. She walked up the me and sat down, then followed me everywhere I went. The next morning she was the same way. We usually spend the weekends playing fetch – but not this one. She spent most the day laying at my feet, shaking. She would not eat, or run or play – and scratched constantly. Sunday was more of the same. This morning, she crawled into bed next to me and kept shaking. She drank some water but would not eat. She would not go to the bathroom or chase a ball – she was pretty lethargic. My heart sank as I began to fear the worst. I immediately took her to the vet. When he walked in the room and began examining her, he asked how long ago I bought her the Hartz flea collar. I told him the date and about giving her a bath. He immediately held her while I took the collar off, and proceeded to tell the the problems caused by the collar and shampoo. He had a dog in the room next door which was suffering seizures because of the collar. He spent the next several minutes explaining the problems with the Hartz products. Listening to him, I cried – thinking of what could have happened to my furry best friend. My next step – finding a lawyer and finding out WHY this problem has been around for 15 years and nothing is being done about it.
DO NOT USE THESE HARTZ PRODUCTS IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR PETS – I gave my dog a flea/tick bath the day before xmas and she had 2 seizures right after using these products! Shame on Hartz for selling this harmful poison!!
I gave our cat (6months give or take she’s a rescue) Hartz. Followed the directions. She began to have muscle spasms and seize. I had never seen this happen before, so my mom gave her a bath with Dawn, then we drove her to the animal hospital. After a full afternoon of treatments she continued to seize and didn’t make it through the night.
After extensive research I am appalled this product is still on the market.
I just used Hartz UltraGaurd my cat George this morning and he has chemical burns and hair loss!!!! I immediately put him in the tub and ran water over the spot for about ten minutes and washed him all over!!! I’m so worried and upset right now, I wish I would have known how terrible this product was! So far he’s acting ok but I’m worried now and will keep close eye on him. Hopefully I rinsed him long enough I don’t know what else I should do for the moment 😞