If Your Pet is a Victim of Hartz or Other Over the Counter Flea Products

 (Very special thanks to Dani at AgainstHartz for putting this list together)
Start a log of all everything. Include the date and time of the incident. The animals physical reactions. Date and time of first Vet or emergency animal hospital call and visit for treatment. The name of the Vet the address, phone number. The cost of the visit and or hospital stay and all other required treatments.

Add the dates and times of each complaint you make and who you spoke with or addresses written correspondence to. Add any reply’s and keep anything in writing.
* If you still have the original products packaging and the store receipt keep the, (Add info to your log)
* Keep all the receipts for Vet care. Have your Vet give you a written diagnosis. Make sure it states he feels the use of the product is the cause of the animals need for the current medical treatment or death. Photocopy this and add it to all written complaints you send.
*Contact the product manufacturer by phone and follow with a written complaint
The owners of Hartz Mountain-
Sumitomo Corporation of America (SCOA)
Atsushi Nishijo Executive Vice President
General Manager for the Americas
Director & President, Sumitomo Corporation of America
There American offices-
New York (Headquarters)
Sumitomo Corporation of America
600 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10016-2001
Tel: 212.207.0700
Fax: 212.207.0456
Web site
Email contact at http://www.sumitomocorp.com/contact.html

Hartz Mountain Corp-
Call Hartz at 1-800-275-1414 and make a complaint.
Follow that with a written complain.
Consumer Relations Department
The Hartz Mountain Corporation
400 Plaza Drive
Secaucus , NJ 07094 USA
Web site http://www.hartz.com/
Other Product Manufacturers –

*Contact the manufacturer of the product. 
Their phone number is on the product packaging,
Bayer Corporation, Shawness Mission, KS
(800) 255-6826 or nofleas.com
Adams Spot-on Flea & Tick Control
Farnam Pet Products, Phoenix, AZ
(602) 285-1660 or farnam.com
BioSpot Flea & Tick Control
Farnam Pet Products, Phoenix, AZ
(602) 285-1660 or farnam.com
Defend EXspot Treatment
Schering-Plough Animal Health, Union, NJ
(800) 842-3532 or
Frontline Top Spot
Merial Limited, Iselin, NJ
(800) 660-1842 or frontline.com

Other Entities You Should File a Report With
* EPA– U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Office of Pesticide Programs (Mail Code 7509C) Ariel Rios
Reg. # of the product, which is printed on the packaging)
* EPA National Pesticide Information Center      
(NPIC): 1-800-858-7378, seven days a week excluding holidays,
from 6:30 AM to 4:30 PM Pacific Time – or fax them on 
(514) 737-0761 - 
Email  at
[email protected]
They maintain a database of pesticide-related illnesses for the
 The EPA uses this database to determine if dangerous
pesticide products need to be removed from the market.
* Also contact your State EPA office to file a report.
 File complaints with the FDA
Animal Drugs, Devices and Foods” and
Report a Drug Reaction
Veterinarians and animal owners may report adverse drug experiences to FDA by calling “Center for Veterinary Medicine”: 1-888-FDA-VETS 1-888-332-8387.
 the web address:   
IMPORTANT: The identities all persons and animals is held in strict confidence by the FDA and protected to the fullest extent of the law. The reporters identity may be shared with the manufacturer or distributor unless requested otherwise. However, FDA will not disclose the reporters identity to a request from the public, pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act.
The HSUS would also like to keep track of these cases.* Please send your contact information, the product name, a brief description of  the health problem, and a brief summary of your veterinarian’s  findings to
The HSUS at the following address:
The Humane Society of the United States
Companion Animals Department: Flea Products
2100 L St. NW Washington, D.C. 20037
* Write your government officials ask them to bring pressure on the EPA over the tremendous numbers of complaints filed over the years about animals being seriously injured and/or dead after using this product. Include your State Attorney General and Consumer Protection advocates for your state.
* The members of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation :
* The members of the House Subcommittee on Environment, Technology, and Standards:
* File a complaint/report with Animal Biologics: Vaccines, Bacterins and Diagnostic Kits  U.S. Department of Agriculture  (800) 752-6255
* Contact your local news stations, TV, radio, and newspapers about what the product did to your beloved companion.
* Make a written complaint to the main office of the store from where you purchased the product. Do not give them the package until you’ve written down every number on it. Hartz and the store will ask you for the UPC code, the batch number and any other number they think of. The store may claim they need to test any remaining residues of the product you may have in the tube to see if it was a ‘bad batch.’
Petsmart Customer Service
[email protected]
1-800-738-1385, EXT 2518
19601 North 27th Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85027
[email protected]
PETCO Animal Supplies, Inc.
9125 Rehco Road
San Diego, CA 92121
Telephone Number:(858) 453-7845
Phone: 1-888-824-PALS (7257)
(Monday – Friday: 7am – 6pm PST)
For Cat Owners
* You may also want to contact
The Cat Fanciers’ Association, Inc.,
P.O. Box 1005
Manasquan, NJ 08736-0805.
Phone: (732) 528-9797
Fax: (732) 528-7391
For Dog Owners:
* The American Kennel Club (AKC):
AKC Headquarters
260 Madison Ave, New York, NY 10016
Telephone: (212) 696-8200
Office Hours: 8:15 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. ET weekdays except holidays 
Contact: http://www.akc.org/akc/contact_akc.cfm