Hartz the Bastard Company

Was looking to get flea collars for my pets 2 cats + 2 dogs my gf and I decided to trust hartz worst mistake I’ve ever made this is what it did to our cats necks in just 2 days thank fully my dogs have really think fur but you could tell it was starting to happen to them as well will now pour every available moment I have into getting payback on this company

Baseball size abscess

Hey guys,
My poor poor marley. I had purchased him a flea collar not knowing what this brand would do to him as he is one of my first pets. He’s only 2. He looks happy and healthy in this picture but that’s because I worked hard to get him back to this stage. So after him wearing his collar for 2-3 weeks (taking it off every night for bed) he started acting funny. Wasn’t eating, wasn’t acting himself. Was literally putting his forehead on walls and just sitting there for hours on end. I sat there and cried I didn’t know what to do. I googled everything and couldn’t find a thing. When he stopped eating and drinking I got scared and took the collar off him thinking maybe he gained weight and it was getting too small now. (He did look like he was starting to get chunky around the face) but when I took off his collar that day, I had came to the scary realization that the had a huge lump on his neck. And when I say huge I mean it. It was the size of a baseball. And of course me never seeing anything like this before I paniked and googled everything imaginable. Nothing turned up. I felt like a horrible person because I didn’t know what to do. So I decided to call my vet. She sounded very worried and asked me to bring him in to see her in roughly an hour. Well during that hour his poor abscess ruptured. And he was in so much pain I thought he was dying. The vet cried when i rushed him in there. She cleaned him up, gave him a surgery to make sure he would be okay and a lot of medicines. After weeks of healing he was starting to show he was going to be okay. When my vet confirmed it was caused by his collar that had pesticides used on it. She explained that these chemicals had soaked into his skin causing them to create an infection (the abscess). where it was located on his body (whole right side of his neck/chin/chest could’ve caused the poor thing real damage if wasn’t treated properly. WHAT IF I WOULDNT HAVE TOOK THE COLLAR OF HIM AND IF I NEVER SEEN IT?! he could’ve died. And yet the company still stands tall and proud distributing their products so they can be sold on shelves at stores. Hartz is the worst possible brand for animals. And I honestly warn everyone who ever mentions ANYTHING about fleas not to use this product ever, I explain my story and then give them this website. I write this choking on my own words. Because I can still see the sad/hurt that was in his eyes. I hadn’t actually got any pictures of his abscess though I’m sorry I was too concerned I just had to make sure he was okay. We do have an after photo of all our progress on making a healthy marley. I’m so sorry for everyone else who hadn’t had this luck with Hart and who lost a very cherished family member. RIP hartzvictims furbabies xo.

Let Amazon buyers beware

I posted here long ago about Hartz flea drops that killed my cat unknowingly and that it was this website itself that warned me of the dangers after using the same product on my 3 cats. All 3 got sick in just an hour and got all of them in a tub with warm water, not hot as hot will cause the poison to get in their system much faster and saved them. They all recovered with no permanent damage and 3 years later are alive and well today! Reason I’m writing this is because I buy on Amazon and all Hartz products have 1 star rating with complaints similar to what you see here. I’m a good customer there and wrote an article which Amazon published even though I never bought that item from them. If you have an Amazon.com account, I highly recommend going to the comment sections of the products you used and post your horror story. Most likely Amazon will post it. Please don’t flame, use profanity, make it professional and to the point, but let them know. With all the complaints already there, and if you add to them, Amazon will most likely pull all Hartz products! Also, when posts get votes they show right on the top. If you see a good post warning people, try voting for it so all will see and the important message doesn’t get buried. 200 bad ratings means too many people either hurt or killed their pets. We need to keep those numbers down and saved our beloved pets and those pets of others! Thanks.

My cat Mayhem is still not out of the woods

used this on my cat 1 time, she seemed fine but after 36 hours, I noticed she had been sitting in the same spot and position for hours. So I went to go pick her up to love on her and as I lifted her up, her eyes were going crazy, shooting rapidly back and forth and her whole body tensed, she threw her head to the right like she was having a seizure. she wouldn’t move or walk and she went totally limp. I rushed her to the emergency vet where I have sat since 10pm last night when this happened. She cannot walk, when she tried she lists to one side and falls after a few steps. After showing the vet the bottle I used, she was stunned, said she thought the organophosphates had been banned, and she said its the same neurotoxin in it as SARIN GAS!!! WTF!!!??? How can they sell this product to use on pets? They gave her atropine and told me to bathe her as much as she will stand, but they said its more than likely irreversible neurological damage. I feel like the worst person on the planet right now, cuz I did this to her, I put it on my baby and now she’s seriously hurt. How can this company be stopped, how can they be prevented from selling this awful stuff to us to use on our innocent animals?!

Retired older person

My little red cat that was around 3yrs. old and was in excellent condition died after putting sergeants silver on her to kill fleas but it ended up killing her over night.Her name was baby,she followed me everywhere like a little puppy,she was so loving.she must have thought i loved you so why did you put me in terrible pain and kill me.

My dog is in so much pain

I bought a Hartz flea collar 3 days agO and my poor little boy is in so much pain from the chemical burns.. Not only does he still have fleas but he gets no rest. I just cry watching hearing him cry. Every hr on the hr he let’s out a deathly squeal… I feel so bad cause I bought it but Hartz needs to pay for what they have done to my poor Scrappy.


Long story short: DO NOT USE HARTZ PRODUCTS. According to the Small Animal Hospital here in Amarillo, they see many cases where Hartz products are essentially poisoning animals. I have read an exorbitant of reviews on this product, and the effects range from skin irritation, shaking, vomiting, foaming at the mouth, seizures, to DEATH. Hartz has received more than 44,000 reports of adverse reactions associated with spot-on flea and tick products. For example, a man in Texas won a lawsuit against Hartz; his dog went into renal failure because of their products. Their statement was, “that’s the risk you take when you use our products”, “it was [the owner’s] fault he died”, and even “owner negligence was cause the death.” Any statement such as those above would not be issued by a company who values their customer base and truly is compassionate for animals. Please, spare your animals and use another product advised by a veterinarian. Know what you are giving your babies BEFORE you give it to them. I have, without a doubt, been touched by an angel.




My poor little pug: poisoned by Hartz?

Thursday night, put the Hartz UltraGuard on my 2 pugs. It’s for dogs 15 – 30 pounds. The little one is about 19 pounds. Saturday night a grand mal seizure, just awful and frightening. Many hours in the ER. Sunday night, a less-violent version of the same thing. His vet, upon hearing that there was flea/tick medicine given, said: I don’t think it’s that, he’s had Advantix and Frontline before. Oh, but I didn’t use that. “I hope it wasn’t Hartz, my time working in the ER, Hartz caused so many problems. I don’t know why they sell that any more.” After which we went straight to the shower, to wash off any residue. Watching and waiting, and hoping this nightmare is over…


I went to my local supply place to get something for my pets for fleas. I applied Frontline Plus to all my animals (2 dogs and 2 cats) spent over $150.00 and the fleas did not leave or die from the Fronline. I used it for the three months and they all still have fleas so i decided to try something different and bought Sargent’s Flea and tick for my fur babies. We put it on the dogs first and it smelled nice they seemed okay. Later that evening when Lucky our cat came out to eat and socialize we treated him, he is a seven month old rescue, he immediately started twitching and meowing like crazy. He was going nutso. He cried and screamed all night long. In the morning he was walking funny and his whole body was going into seizures. We took him to our vet just in time they tell us. He was near death from this shit. Our vet kept him overnight; they had to give him medication to stop the seizures, had to put him on IV to flush it out of his system, they had to bathe him to try to remove any left over residue. Never again will i use Sargent’s for anything. Our vet bill was $358.00 and the dogs still have flea. I think Sargent’s should reimburse me our vet bill.