My darling little 14 week old kitten went into tremors and shock after applying a flea product made by Hartz. Is there not a class action lawsuit against the manufacturer?
I applied Hartz to my 86.4 lb lab recently and the next morning he had a very severe seizure. I was only aware of the dangers for cats, but apparently Hartz is also extremely dangerous for dogs – even big dogs! I took him to the vet immediately and he stayed all day for observation. After the flea and tick treatment was washed from his fur, he had no other problems and has been fine ever since.
If anyone has information about getting this product off the shelves, please let me know. I would like to lobby some stores in my local area at the very least, but a nationwide effort would be much more effective. According to a number of articles I have read, the Hartz Mountain Corporation is aware of this problem and were re-labeling their boxes in November 2002, but in my opinion, a ‘cautionary’ label is not going to save enough animals’ lives. The general public needs to be informed of these dangers before more of our beloved pets become victims.
My email is [email protected] if you have any info.
I used Hartz Control Flea and Tick Replent spray on my cat Merlyn. It was horrible, he started frothing at the mouth, his eyes glazed over and he wouldn’t move. When he did move, he ran like he was trying to get away from it. Luckily he didn’t have convulsions nor did he have to go to the vet. I felt so bad for him though and didn’t realize until just a few days ago that this brand of product was such a problem! I found out on a message board I’m apart of and I give my deepest sympathies to anyone who has lost or almost lost a pet. I am now and forever boycotting Hartz products and will tell anyone who wants to listen my story and anyone else’s story I read.
Hartz almost killed my cat. At the time she was only 3 years old, I naively bought some flea spray for pets cause I lived on the east coast at the time, and was dealing with the yearly infestation. I was going out of town for the weekend, but before I left I tried to spray my cat with the flea spray. I only got alittle on her tummy, but she squirmed too much so I just let her go. While I was gone, I had a friend look in on my baby. So when I arrived home late on a sunday night, I read the note on the door saying she was fine and everything went well. But upon entering the apartment I noticed something was very wrong. Tasha just sat huddled up on the floor. She normally would have run up to greet me. I tried to get her to eat some food. And she wasn’t at all interested. That was the dead give away that something was wrong. She’ll eat practically anything at all times. I tried putting water on my fingertips and having her drink it. With minimal results. I called the emergency vet as she crawled slowly onto my lap. Her eyes were glazed over, and she started going into convulsions. I finally reached my vet on the phone. He had been on another emergency call delivering kittens. I described the symptoms, and he told me to just keep an eye on her until the morning. Before I hung up I remembered the blockade, and mentioned it to him. He said “oh my god. She may be dying. Get her to my clinic right away, i’ll meet you there.” Well, after a syringe and a half of atropine, and some small pill put down her throat, he saved my wonderful cats life. She is now 16 years old and going strong, thanks to him. (Thank you so much Dr. Mclawhorn of n.c., I owe you so much.) I think Hartz owes me the $50.00 the vet bill cost me, as well as some for pain and suffering. I have boycotted all hartz products and refuse to buy anything else of theirs, ever. And whenever I can share my story with someone, I do. I have heard countless other accounts of many animals dying of this product produced by Hartz. I hope one day they will be put out of business for their careless and dangerous products. What is it they really care about, when the animals they are supposed to serve suffer?
On Tuesday 6/4/03 we had to put our 1 yr old cat Oliver to sleep. We had applied Hartz Advanced Care Flea & Tick drops plus according to package directions at approx 8pm Monday 6/3/03. At 2:30am, just 6 1/2 hrs later, we awoke to Oliver moaning and convulsing, he was foaming from the mouth . I will never forget this! We rushed him to the vet, who tried to get him to stop seizing with sedatives and anesthesia overnight but everytime they took him off the meds he’d start again. The vet said that he was in toxic shock and they had seen this happen before from Hartz drops . Unfortunately, after 6 hours, we knew he wasn’t going to stop seizing so we had to put him down. I have 2 daughters and I thank God they did not see what happened. It was hard enough to explain that he was in kitty heaven. We will miss him greatly. We are guilt ridden, saddened, and angry at Hartz for knowing this product can cause this harm! We are willing to do what is necessary to get this product off the market so we can stop this senseless suffering!!
About a week ago I noticed that my cat (Wally) had fleas. I went and picked up some Hartz Advance Care and applied it as per the directions. A couple hours later Wally’s whole body was shaking and he couldn’t move around at all. I rushed him to the vet and told them what happened. Before I even finished my first sentence saying that “I gave my cat some Hartz…” the vet exclaimed “Oh no” and called back to another vet saying they had an “Emergency Case”. I’m sure some of you know how worked up I was hearing my cat was an emergency case and that this was no surprise coming from Hartz. They treated Wally with an IV antidote and he was pretty out of it for the rest of the day. They said to me that if he started shaking again that I’d have to rush him to the emergency clinic, that made me feel sooooo much better. Fortunately he didn’t start shaking again and he’s back to his normal antics. The vets told me about this site so I figured I would check it out and post my story here. Hartz definitely needs to be stopped. I know it may seem a little drastic on my part but I’ve had a stamp made that says “Hartz can kill your pets” and when I go to a grocery store or wal-mart I like to stamp a few packages because Hartz certainly doesn’t do their part to warn consumers how potentially dangerous their product really is.
I am trying to collect data on the numbers of cats injured or killed by the use of Hartz flea products.
If your cat was injuryed or has died due to the use of Hartz flea products PLEASE send me a email at
Please include the following information in your email:
Number of cats injuryed directly related to the use of Hartz.
Number of cats which deaths are directly related to the use of Hartz
Each cats sex, age and name.
I thank you very much for your help and am very sorry your cats as well as mine were victims of Hartz.
My cat died 2 days ago from Zodiac flea treatment. I don’t know if Hartz makes it..I wasn’t actually the one that put it on my Kiki. I watched KiKi have seizures and the vet said they could save him but for $800 and I didn’t have it… they wouldn’t bill me… they wouldn’t help. It has been an awful experience and all I want is my Kiki back. He was the best cat and he didn’t deserve to suffer like that. I tried myself to save him and I couldn’t, I had him put to sleep a few hours later. I have never heard of the dangers of this medication… why are they sold? I don’t understand at all but I am MAD and I want these people to understand the pain have caused my children and I. Thank you for this site.
Michele sent her story in today. We’re extremely sorry to hear about your loss. If anyone has any information regarding Zodiac, please submit it to HartzVictims.org and we’ll pass it on to Michele.
I bought the flea drops for cats about a week before I went on vacation. I applied it to one cat (the other was outside) on the neck in back, just as instructed. That cat had no problems whatsoever.
I promptly forgot about the other cat. Then, a week later when we were leaving for a week vacation, I remembered the other cat. I was going to put it on, but I remembered that the box said something about a reaction, so I didn’t put it on because I knew we wouldn’t be there if there was a problem.
Boy was I glad I didn’t put it on then leave!
When I got back, I put it on in the evening. The next morning, the cat’s paws were shaking a little as it lifted them. A couple of hours later, my wife said to look at the cat. It was having tremors over its whole body.
We called the vet, and they said to call poison control (huh? Don’t vets know about this?) Anyway, poison control told us to wash the pet, so we did, and we called back the vet. The vet said to bring the cat in, so we did.
We left it there and went to lunch. When we got back, the vet called us and said the cat would need an IV and to stay overnight, so we did that.
I’m going to pick the cat up on the way home from work tonight, since it’s OK, but yeesh, I don’t wanna know the bill. Probably $400-$500 from what I’ve been reading here.
This cat as a tiny kitten already survived a severe infection when we got him, the vet said he had less than a 50/50 chance. He slept with his little paws on my arm.
I have no excuse, except ignorance but now I will devote a significant amount of time exposing this product and the problems it causes.
I used the “spot-on” treatment on my 12 lb cat. I used the product for cats in EXACTLY the manner prescribed on the box. Today my cat is the Er receiving IV fluids. She will live, but bill will probably be 300.00. Hartz will pay this bill and the supermarket where I bought it will also remove the product from it’s shelf if I have any say about it.