I both the Hartz Ultra guard dual action topical for dogs and puppies and applied it about 5 days ago.
The next day I noticed a tuft of hair standing up a bit and when I felt, I thought it was tick. As I looked, I realized it was lump on her skin. I didn’t put it together with the UltraGuard until just now because I thought it was scrape/scab from her running through the bushes…but this morning I noticed 3 more and they are all inline with were the Ultra Guard was applied.
Going to bathe her now. She seems okay but this is outrageous – I think, and hope, I’m one of the lucky ones.
I gave my boarder collie an oinkie on Saturday. That night she threw up two pieces of plastic an inch long and half an inch wide. After reading these comments I am throwing out the package of oinks.
My Bella is very sick and she was acting strange earlier after I put the very same Hartz UltraGuard on her. I didn’t notice at first I was cleaning the kitchen but then at her dinner time I had the window open and she jumped out as if her life depended on it. I couldn’t get her to come in for hours. When she did I noticed she wasn’t herself. She was sitting all curled up and then would wildly run through the house. Her eyes are huge and she looks terrified or as if she is seeing things. Keeps making weird mouth movements like dry mouth. I washed and she has settled some but at night she never likes to cuddle but she has gotten behind me between me and the pillow. I can tell she is so sick. Her poor litte heart is so fast. She can’t eat and I am scared up until almost 4 am with her now. Damn those people who make such a harmful product. I found this to see what to do. Like if anyone knew what I should do in addition to a bath. But she ran outside after and it has probably all soaked into her. They should have to take their lousy product off the shelves. Or we should all sue them.
I have a 10 month old border Collie mix and after a day of having a Hartz collar on he got really sick. He went from being super happy and running around to neurologically and physically unstable. He started to get lathargic so I took the collar off. His symptoms grew worse so I left camp and drove an hour away to an emergency vet. They pushed fluids under his skin to help flush the toxins. He wasn’t himself all night he almost acted drunk. He could physically walk on his back legs. Finally two days later he is coming around but he is still not himself. I spent my shortened family vacation crying because I didn’t know what the hell is wrong with my dog. I hate Hartz and I’m so mad at myself for not being a better dog mom and reading up on companies that kill like this one. Shame on you Hartz.
I had to have our dearest Tiggie euthanized today. He had lost almost all of his mobility in his hind end. It began last Monday and became extreme by Friday..and by today… the rest of his body and organs were dying.
When I brought Tiggs home he always did a lot of head shaking and scratched at his ears often… so I assumed he must have had a flea in his ear… he did not have mites… as I checked… so I happened across a topical, one drop, flea medication for cats and kittens… so I assumed it was safe. It was not… but now I know Hartz laces their feline flea drops with pyrethrin/pyrethroid. These are highly toxic to cats. Its a nerve blocker that kills fleas and ticks through paralysis.
Tiggy had a reaction where he drooled for a few minutes but seemed fine later on. It wasn’t until last Monday we noticed he had trouble jumping onto the bed… we just assumed he was being clutzy… but by Friday he was stumbling like a drunkard and it just went down hill from there.
If I had realized he was poisoned and taken him in right away he would have been okay today… this is a terrible thing to realize when you lost a one in a lifetime cat! I am just devastated and I am hoping by writing this that people will stop buying these over the counter products for their felines….
The vet is appalled they are still for sale… he sees this a lot! As soon as I told him about the flea treatment he knew exactly what was wrong… and it was far too late as most of Tiggs muscles were done in and most likely some organs too.
Apparently almost “all” over the counter, cheap, flea and tick meds are laced with this stuff!
Here is info on the poison. and below is the product that killed my cat…just one drop! I’ll always feel guilty even though I didn’t know…
Signs of pyrethrin/pyrethroid toxicity in cats are serious and life-threatening, and can include all or any of the following listed. Any signs warrant an immediate visit to the veterinarian for further treatment
Agitation or restlessness
Incoordination or difficulty jumping, standing or walking
Dyspnea (difficulty breathing)
Hypothermia or hyperthermia
Pyrethrin/pyrethroid toxicity is fatal for cats if not treated immediately.
Sergants and Hartz… beware these! This is what I purchased: https://www.walmart.ca/…/hartz-ultraguard-one…/6000188973031
HARTZ almost killed my cat! We thought my cat had flees so we bought a HARTZ product and put it on my cat. She was meowing and running around the house. Then we looked at the reviews of the product and their where reviews that sounded like the same thing that was happening to my cat! So we immediately washed it off. So if you come across a HARTZ product please do not buy it! And please do your research on whatever you put on your pet!
I don’t care if you love the product. I don’t care if it has not impacted your life. That’s your opinion and here is mine. I love my dog more than you’ll ever know. He was there when I felt like no one else was. I don’t always have the funds to rush him to the nearest animal hospital or clinic when something slight happens. I started to used this brand for him because it was the cheapest. He started show signs of hair lost, but I thought it was normal due to stressed or the changed in weather. He was a happy and healthy dog. Then he had spots missing, sores for no reason, and then dropped weight quickly. He then proceeded to have a seizure and died. HARTZ KILL MY DOG. Again, I don’t care about your personal feelings, but here is mine. I did everything in my power to keep him happy and healthy. Then like that he was gone. He didn’t deserve this and I don’t deserve the pain that I am feeling.
Love you my puppy that’s in heaven 💛
I recently tried Hartz Ultra Guard Plus topical flea and tick prevention for cats and kittens 12 weeks and older (for 5 pounds and over). I had spotted a few fleas on 2 of my 3 cats, so I thought one dose each might get rid of them before they became a bigger problem. I applied it first to my long haired cat (she is the bigger of the 2), and she was ok. So, I then put it on the other cat. Almost immediately after the application, he started racing around the house! He was all puffed up, panting then hissing, screaming out like he was in pain, and just completely freaking out! He could have passed for demon possessed the way he was acting. I immediately tried to call the 800 number on the box and got a voice recording directing me to an 888 number. No luck reaching anyone. It was after 6, so no vets offices were open and the emergency hospital is an hour away. I wasn’t sure if it was burning his skin or if he’d somehow licked it. I raced him to the bathtub and scrubbed the solution off of him. Luckily, shortly after the bath, he returned to normal. It’s been 11 days since the applications. He is fine now as far as I can tell, but the first cat with the long hair has been losing her hair in clumps where the Hartz was applied. After reading other people’s testimonies, I consider myself lucky that mine are still alive and healthy! I wish I would have found this site before I tried the flea solution!! I knew Hartz products have been on store shelves for decades, so I figured they must be effective and safe. I am going to tell everyone I know about how unsafe and dangerous their products are. They shouldn’t be allowed to be sold at all.
DO NOT BUY BANSECT!
This product has caused seizures in my dog starting last November 2018, ruining her health! She still has them and here it is March 2019. This is a very toxic product! Dollar Tree sells this product, DO NOT BUY IT and tell your local store to stop carrying this product.
Christmas 1987, We were newly married and proud owners of a rescued kitten. We planned to take Antic with us to my in-laws home for a day long Christmas visit. We bathed Antic with Hartz flea shampoo because we were battling fleas at that time. She started foaming at the mouth then stumbling around finally she got under our bed and had a seizure. We tried to rinse her again then a fast dash to the 24hr Emergency vet where they pronounced her deceased upon arrival. It was the saddest first Christmas any newlywed could imagine. I thought they pulled this from shelves, but apparently NOT.