A few years back I used Hartz on my cat as he got outside and came back littered with fleas. 20 minutes after treatment he started having seizures, I immediately bathed him with Dawn dish soap and a vegetable sprayer. After about 10 minutes the seizures stopped, another 30 and he was his normal self again. A vet visit later confirmed what we had thought, that the Hartz was the culprit. He prescribed us a special flea shampoo that we used up until he got nabbed by coyotes 2 weeks ago. We recently got a dog now and after doing some research, saw that Hartz changed their formula. Knowing what I knew from the cat, I decided to give it a try and just monitor him very closly. My wife and I applied the treatment and all was going well until he went to sleep. He started twitching, breathing heavily, and would not open his eyes, as if the room was spinning. After trying to do everything I could to get him to respond, I bathed him with a removable shower head and loads of Dawn. Instantly his breathing calmed down and 20 minutes later, he’s his energetic self again. We’re going to the vet this week to get a shampoo just for him. If you do use any over the counter flea product, watch your pet closely, it’s not going to be too late if you catch a reaction within the first hour.
My cat Lily passed away today. She has been perfectly healthy. Tonight I went down to my basement to clean the cat boxes. I found her dead in the middle of the room. Right now I am mad at myself and I am livid with the Hartz company. I purchased flea collars for my cats. These were chosen based on the positive reviews. How can Hartz justify selling this product? I had no idea of the animals that had died from their products. After I found her and figured what happened, I got the others collars off. Lily was very petite, much smaller than the other cats. It probably won’t matter to complain to the Hartz company. They will have every excuse possible. Lily doesn’t matter to them, but she does to me. Thankfully the others seem ok.