Rip Tiggy

I had to have our dearest Tiggie euthanized today. He had lost almost all of his mobility in his hind end. It began last Monday and became extreme by Friday..and by today… the rest of his body and organs were dying.
When I brought Tiggs home he always did a lot of head shaking and scratched at his ears often… so I assumed he must have had a flea in his ear… he did not have mites… as I checked… so I happened across a topical, one drop, flea medication for cats and kittens… so I assumed it was safe. It was not… but now I know Hartz laces their feline flea drops with pyrethrin/pyrethroid. These are highly toxic to cats. Its a nerve blocker that kills fleas and ticks through paralysis.
Tiggy had a reaction where he drooled for a few minutes but seemed fine later on. It wasn’t until last Monday we noticed he had trouble jumping onto the bed… we just assumed he was being clutzy… but by Friday he was stumbling like a drunkard and it just went down hill from there.
If I had realized he was poisoned and taken him in right away he would have been okay today… this is a terrible thing to realize when you lost a one in a lifetime cat! I am just devastated and I am hoping by writing this that people will stop buying these over the counter products for their felines….
The vet is appalled they are still for sale… he sees this a lot! As soon as I told him about the flea treatment he knew exactly what was wrong… and it was far too late as most of Tiggs muscles were done in and most likely some organs too.
Apparently almost “all” over the counter, cheap, flea and tick meds are laced with this stuff!
Here is info on the poison. and below is the product that killed my cat…just one drop! I’ll always feel guilty even though I didn’t know…
Signs of pyrethrin/pyrethroid toxicity in cats are serious and life-threatening, and can include all or any of the following listed. Any signs warrant an immediate visit to the veterinarian for further treatment

Excessive salivation/drooling
Agitation or restlessness
Vomiting
Hiding
Incoordination or difficulty jumping, standing or walking
Shaking
Twitching
Tremors
Seizures
Dyspnea (difficulty breathing)
Hypothermia or hyperthermia
Pyrethrin/pyrethroid toxicity is fatal for cats if not treated immediately.
Sergants and Hartz… beware these! This is what I purchased: https://www.walmart.ca/…/hartz-ultraguard-one…/6000188973031

3 thoughts on “Rip Tiggy”

  1. This company should be out of business. It was sold to a Chinese conglomerate several years ago and they have done nothing to correct the problem. It’s time for a class-action suit!

    1. I USED HARTZ FLEA DROPS ON FOUR OF MY CATS & THEY DIED. I MADE REPORTS TO JUST ABOUT EVERY BODY BUT BUT IT,S STILL ON THE SHELF THEY DON,T CARE ABOUT ANIMALS. JOE

  2. It is toxic to both dogs and cats. The symptoms listed above are far too common. This crap is poison, our encounter was in 2008. Since then I will never use another chemical on my animals.

Leave a Reply to JOE AMOROSO Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *