So…I just wrote the following review about Hartz Ultra Guard Topical Flea & Tick Prevention for Cats on a consumer affairs website:
Wow, I wish I had read these very helpful reviews BEFORE putting Hartz Ultra Guard on my two adult male cats! Within a few minutes after putting this medicine on both of them, the 3 year old [Pepper] started running at top speed throughout the house and was alternately agitated, howling, panting, and sneezing! He has never reacted to flea medicine in this way before! Between his bursts of running, he would collapse on the floor looking completely lethargic. I immediately called the phone number on the package, but the recording said the business was closed for the weekend and directed me to another “Health & Safety” phone number. I called that number and gave the customer rep on the phone all the details she asked for from the package. She reassured me that he was in no immediate danger, saying he probably had just a bad allergic reaction, but she suggested I wash it off with some dishwashing liquid on a wet washcloth. After doing that, he did seem a little bit more like himself, and he even ate some food. Meanwhile, my 12 year old cat [Squeekers] is still hiding in the hallway coat closet, but as soon as I can get to him, I will be washing him off as well.
Do NOT buy this product!
*For the record, Squeekers got washed down, too, after I posted this review. Although he did not react like Pepper did, I wasn’t going to take any chances!
My cat had trouble breathing and was not acting normal 2 days after wearing the Hartz ultra guard collar. He had to spend the night at the vet and is now on medication. I’m glad we were able to get him treated promptly and hope he will recover quickly.
My girl Tigeress was born 2/11/17 and passed away on 8/13/18 from a heart attack caused by Hartz topical spray Ultraguard Plus. I had applied to all my cats as we have a flea infestion this year and I had tried eveything under the sun to get rid of the fleas. I had no clue I was going to lose my one eyed beauty but I did. (picture posted). Anyhow I applied the spray as directed to her fur fur rub it in and watched he closely for a few hours as I do with all new products I purchase and use on my fur babies, I thought everything was okay cause she was playing and eating and drinking and pottying like normal and then within 36 hours she went from being her spunky self to listless so I could her vet and they got her right told them what happened and she crashed. Her heart just stopped at 8:30 am on 8/13/18 I have been a complete mess since because I have 3 other cats that are sick from this but I am bathing them daily daily and pushing fluids and so hopefully I can these 3 this because I can take another loss.
I have 3 feral cats, so I put hartz flea collars on 2 of them & 1 kept coughing & the other had a ring around her neck with scabs and missing hair.
So it’s 1:00 and I just got back home from the ER after my cat had a really scary reation to the Hartz UltraGuard Pro flea drops. Around 9pm I put the first dose on his back and next thing you know he’s scratching at his back and running around. At first I thought maybe it was just a fuzzy reaction, but when he walked up to me meowing I knew something was wrong. I hurried to wipe the stuff off his back and then wash it off. At first it seemed to helped, he was more calm and ate some treats. And then he proceeded to throw up. He’s 8 months and I had never ever seen him throw up. Scared I called the closest Animal Emergency Hospital and they told me to take him in right away. As soon as I showed them the medicine I had given him the veterinarian told me that they’ve had a LOT of issues with it. They gave him a bath, a shot for nausea and some fluid for possible poisoning! I paid almost 300 dollars for the visit, which for me my cat being like my child isn’t the problem, but now I have to monitor him for the next 48 hours and I am so scared reading all of these comments. One of the nurses noted that this same medicine being applied to dogs is even worse! I am calling off from work tomorrow since I am really worried. I’m praying everything goes well with my kitten. Please do not buy this product.
I gave 2 of our dogs the flea and tick treatment and out lab is so itchy now no one can sleep-she is really hot I gave her benadril-I am so worried!!!!!
Two weeks ago, I purchased Seargents skip Flea shampoo at my local grocery store because the hot weather caused fleas to overwhelm my cat despite the use of a flea collar that normally works fine. We read the bottle and used the recommended amount of shampoo to bathe our cat. Within an hour, our cat had a seizure. The seizure lasted several minutes. We frantically called the vet, but by that time the seizure was over and she was doing somewhat better so we made an urgent care appointment for the next day. The next day, the vet examined her and drew some blood for some tests and gave her some flea treatment because the shampoo did not seam to have removed any fleas. The vet sent us home since there was nothing more they could do at that point other than wait for the test results. They said they would call us the following morning with the results of the tests. Our cat did not make it through that night. In the morning the vet called and let us know the results of the tests showed that our cat had kidney failure. This shampoo poisoned her and she died.
I went back to the store where I purchased the shampoo and told them I do not want to return it nor do I want a refund, as I do not want it put back on the store shelf to be sold to another unsuspecting pet parent. I asked to speak to someone who could help me get them to stop selling this product. They immediately had a two managers come over and address my concerns. I showed them my vet bill and a picture of my cat; and explained again what happened. They explained that because they are part of a large, nationwide conglomerate, they do not get to choose at the site level which products to stock, but that they would follow up with the purchasing manager to try. The customer service representative and both managers were very compassionate and empathetic, so I hope that this will have some impact.
I bought the flea and tick collar for my 5 month old kitten in 2009 and it burned the fur off the back of her neck in a matter of days. She had scabs for weeks and it took a while for her fur to grow back. Fast forward 9 years: she STILL gets hotspots on her neck from where the collar was. Reading through these stories, I can’t help but feel like her behavior issues are somehow related as well. NEVER USE THESE PRODUCTS.
My Zoey is 1 year old. I put this Hartz Ultraguard Plus on my dog 7-28-18. Within 2 hours she was having grand mal seizures! Called my vet, they said wash her with dawn soap! The grandmal seizures stopped for a few days then the little one started!!! 8-7-18 the grandmal seizures started back up again! She had 8 grandmal seizures in less then 24 hours! Took her to the E.R. vet and they said she has full blown epilepsy now! She will have to be on seizure meds for the rest of her life! This company just dont care about our pets. If they did they would take this crap off the market! But no its all about the money they make from it!!!
My dog was poisoned by this product.
I put the flea and tick on my dog on Friday afternoon.
Sunday afternoon he wouldn’t walk, drink or eat.
Monday morning I rushed him to his veterinarian.
The vet did X-ray, ultrasound, charcoal and IV ALL day.
I was advised to take my dog to a 24 hr emergency vet hospital for more IV and Charcoal and also possible seizures.
I picked up my dog yesterday 7-31-2018 from emergency vet with a prescription for muscle relaxers. The vet has no idea if my dog will ever stop twitching but he is stable and is allowed to come home.
Now he is home and I have to hand feed him, Give him a drink of water from a syringe.
He twitches and shakes nonstop. My dog won’t lift his head and even respond to his name anymore.
I am praying that he will eventually make a full recovery.
I know I am blessed that he is home with me but what quality of life is my dog going to have?
I’m devastated and so mad at myself for buying this product.
How is this still on the market?