Mr Kitty Kitty was the sweetest cat I think I’ve ever been around. He was 8 years old and he died after ingesting Hartz flea drops. I had put them on one of the other cats not thinking he may groom her at some point. Within 2 days he was lethargic and had no energy at all. 1 and a half weeks later he died. I took him to the vet and we weren’t sure what it was, the vet thought some kind of virus and gave us antibiotics which had no effect. I then took him back to the vet and told them about the drops but she said probably not the cause. But I left him there so they could keep an eye on him and since he wasn’t eating or drinking they started giving him fluids and IV nutrients. They said that if he was poisoned that the fluids should wash it out. He died from anemia, his body wasn’t creating enough red blood cells for him to live. Now, I’m so heartbroken. I buried him yesterday in a location by my house so that everyday I go home I can see and talk with him. He didn’t have a mean bone in his body. I ultimately am blaming myself because I had read about the Hartz flea drops prior to using them but thought the other cats may have had some underlying issues. But no, stay away from these drops, just spend the extra money and get the better stuff.
I don’t know how long the guilt is going to last but I hope I can get past it as I loved that cat so much that if given the choice I would have drank the drops myself. How I miss him coming up and nudging my hand to pet him or rub his belly as he loved that. Beware those drops.