Via email from Callie:
Mac was a beautiful, healthy, happy male cat. He was 9 years old and had more energy than any kitten!
He spent most of his time outside which led to him contracting fleas.
We decided to use the Hartz flea and tick collar. Mac had his collar on for approximately 1 week. I noticed he seemed agitated and itchy so I removed the collar. When I removed it I noticed a gross chemical burn that was all the way around his neck. We tried to help the itch go away because we thought that was his problem, little to our knowledge there was much more going on.
Mac passed away today (December 12th,2014) due to kidney failure and failure of of his nervous system. I did some research and Tetrachlorovinphos, which is one of the chemicals in the collars, is actually known to attack the nervous system.
This needs to stop! I can’t imagine the pain my poor cat went through and it’s heartbreaking not being able to help your pets when they need it. Please people let’s stop this horrible product from harming others!
The picture attached is of the chemical burn once it finally started to heal. As you can see the chemical burn was layers and layers into his skin.