On August 9, 2014 I purchased Hartz® UltraGuard Plus® Flea & Tick Drops for Cats in the 3 month supply from Target. After reading the box for any serious warnings, I followed the instructions provided carefully and administered the treatment to my cat, Retta, as directed. Unfortunately, she had an extremely dangerous reaction.
I gave the medication to Retta around 10:00PM and by 11:15 we were in the Emergency Room at Nashville Veterinary Specialists. Approximately 15 minutes after applying the medication to Retta she began to show strange, and frightening symptoms. At first, was struggling while trying to walk and was unable to lift her head up. Then the symptoms began to worsen and she began convulsing as well as making abnormal gurgling and choking noises. I washed away the medication as quickly as possible but she was showing no signs of improvement, and by this time I was extremely concerned. I called the local pet hospital and was advised to bring her in as soon as possible. I left my house as soon as hanging up the phone and when I arrived with Retta they immediately took her back for treatment, where she remained for over 5 hours.
I am extremely dissatisfied and angered by my experience with Hartz. The only relevant warning provided on the label read Sensitivities may occur after using any pesticide product for pets. This is a drastic understatement and grossly misleading. My cat could have died because of this product. I called Hartz to voice my opinion and concern for other animals and was given a file number to reference in order to be reimbursed for my ER expenses. I will definitely be submitting to be reimbursed by I’m extremely frustrated that they will not ackwnoledge the serious danger they’re putting so many animals in. A representative took my statement but for the most part my concerns were dismissed and there were no sufficient answers as to why the products were still being sold or why warning labels were misleading. Please, please, please do not use this product on your pets!