Hi, my name is Margaret Daly. Isabella Donna “Isa” was my beautiful black smoke Himalayan. She was in perfect health. I had only treated her once for fleas before prior to this past week. I noticed Isa had began to scratch. I was concerned since she is a completely indoor cat. While at the grocery store Tuesday, August 30, 2014, I purchase Sergeants Flea and Tick Gold medicine at Krogers. I came home applied it to both of my cats.
Thinking nothing of it, I begin to notice within two days that Isa’s behavior had changed. She became increasingly clingy and lethargic. I figured it was a side effect of the medicine. She was not scratching as much. Over the next three days, Isa’s behavior began to change. She didn’t have much of an appetite and was reclusive. Due to the holiday weekend, we just kept a close eye on her.
On August 31, 2014, Sunday, I could not find her. I began to panic! I enlisted my father and husband to search the entire house when we found her, she was completely listless. We rushed her to the emergency vet.
The vet said she had a very low body temp and her red blood count was decimated. A normal range is 40-50, and Isa’s red blood cell count was 12. The vet suggest a $1300 blood transfusion. We declined due to the financial strain. The vet said Isa would be okay within 3-5 days. The diagnosis was anemia due to fleas although no fleas were actually found on her.
We took her home. When we got home, I knew in my heart she was dying. I tried everything to get her to eat and drink. But she just laid there staying off into space. Every time she tried to move or stand she would stumble around and collapse. At around 3:00 AM, she had a seizure. I knew the end was near. Her breathing was changing from rapid to non-existent. She passed away shortly there after.
We were left with so many unanswered questions. Just a complete and total shock. How could a healthy cat with no known health issues just die? The vet did not have concerns about life or death! She said the transfusion would just improve her condition quickly. My husband began to research it on the internet. We have read countless stories just like our own, almost exactly the same. How can this be legal? How can these people manufacture products intended on helping our pets but instead they are killing them. This company will hear from me!
It seems our beloved, Isa, was poisoned by this junk! Too boot, I have another cat who is also acting similar to way Isa did before she passed away. I cannot fathom losing both of my cats. I have purchased Dawn dish detergent and will be bathing my other cat, Lola, very soon. I am starting here to share my story. I will be sharing it all over the internet. I will also be contacting Kroger to stop selling these lethal products! Please if you love your pets, the way we do, DO NOT PURCHASE ANY OF THEIR PRODUCTS!