On May 14th, 2014 I bathed both of my cats with Bio Spot Active Care Flea and Tick Shampoo for Cats and Kittens. I purchased it at PetSmart. I was fooled by the packaging and thought it was a safer product for my cats so that we could get rid of our sudden flea infestation. I bathed our small cat, Stella, first. She was pissed, but fine. Next we bathed our large cat, Moxie. He too seemed pissed, but fine…. Approximately 30 minutes later, Justin and my brother, Frank, said that there was something wrong with him. He was yowling loudly practically screaming for a cat. His pupils were large, his breathing was quick panting like, and he was lying on his side. His body was tensing, almost convulsing, and he was foaming/drooling heavily. While having a convulsion, he defecated twice. We rushed him to the emergency pet clinic. After the doctor examined him, she kept asking if he had a history of seizures. She said there was fluid coming from his mouth and nose, as if he had aspirated. She said it seemed very similar to a cat that has drown in a washing machine, but I know that didnt happen during his bath. She was concerned that he had breathed in the water with the shampoo and may have had chemical burns in his lungs. His temp was low, and his pupils and body very slow to respond. He was obviously in a lot of pain. They gave him meds for the pain and discussed options with us. Then they came back and said that despite the warmer and heating pads, his temperature was continuing to drop. Because of this, they werent able to put in a catheter. They warned us that they were very concerned for him. Then they came back again to tell us that he was struggling to breathe on his own, and that we should come back to see him. It was horrible to watch him gasping, and they asked if we would like them to help him pass. Not wanting him to suffer, we agreed. Because of his condition, they would not be able to get a vein, so they would have to give him the shot through his stomach or heart, so we could not be there with him when it happened. We said our goodbyes as they were putting a mask on him so that he would be unaware of what was happening. Within about 3 hours of his bath, Moxie was dead. After telling the doctor the product we used, I began reading reviews. Many people wrote about their cats having seizures, drooling, and dying shortly after using the same shampoo. A news station in LA that did an investigative report, and the EPA is looking into flea and tick products for animals , because of the high number of deaths associated with them. Bio Spot is one of those products being looked at. There is even a webpage, biospotvictims.org. All of the testimonials Ive read describe either exactly or similar situations to what happened to Moxie last night. If I had known that there was pesticide in that product, I would not have purchased or used it. If I had known that there was a possibility of seizures or death, I WOULD NOT HAVE PURCHASED BIO SPOT. We read the label prior to using the shampoo and there were no such warnings. There should have been. Even better, this product, and others like it, should not be on the shelves at all. Maybe its the grief and the guilt talking, but Im going to do everything I can to get this information out to people, and to try and make sure this stuff either has a warning on it to let people know about the potential dangers, or is pulled from the shelves altogether. It wont bring my Moxie back, but if I can save others from the heartbreak of having to watch their loved one suffer such a painful, horrible death, it is something I need to help do.
So I’m starting this blog to let as many people know about this product and others like it, as well as to chronicle my fight against the companies and stores that sell them. Moxie fought so hard last night, so I’m going to continue the fight for him. http://fightingformoxie.blogspot.com/2014/05/last-night-i-bathed-both-of-my-cats.html