Lucky he’s still alive!

Friday night, I noticed my 20-pound Pyrenees pup had lots of fleas so, thinking I was being a responsible owner, I applied the “best” Hartz flea/tick product I could get. Not long after this junk was applied, Silas went from being an energetic ball of fun to a trembling lump of fur on the floor. The symptoms he exhibited were:

  • Extreme lethargy
  • Tremors
  • Extremely dry nose/mouth
  • Gurgling, labored breathing
  • Extreme lack of coordination when walking
  • Elevated heart rate
  • Fluttering eyes

I called my local emergency vet clinic and was instructed to immediately give him a thorough bath in Dawn detergent to remove any product from him that I could, and encourage him to eat and drink as much as possible. He seemed all right for a minute or two, then it all started again. I couldn’t deal with the possibility of something worse happening to him; he seemed like he could have died at any moment. It was terrifying. I didn’t have money in my bank account but remembered that I had recently gotten a credit card for emergencies. I was SO GRATEFUL!! I took him in, and he started acting fine once we got there. Still tripped every now and then, but what the vet said was quite disturbing. I took the box the treatment came in, and she said that it had basically poisoned my boy, and got him reaaaaally drunk. She said it looked like he had passed the risks the toxicity could have caused at that point, but was still recovering from the alcohol content. She prescribed medications to help with his tremors, and he was just fine the next day.

I posted my outrage on Facebook, where I got several responses from vet techs, friends who work in clinics, and a friend who actually had a very similar instance occur with her dog, all of which stated that Hartz (along with brands such as Bio-Spot, Pet Armor, Sentry, and Sergeant) is very known for doing this to pets, and that it is not uncommon for it to cause death.. So Silas and I got lucky!! I just can’t believe, especially not after reading these horror stories on here.. My most sincere condolences to everyone who lost a loved critter.. that these awful, despicable companies are still in business!! I swear it, if something worse had happened to my boy, I’d be typing this out from a jail cell, even though burning a building to the ground is nowhere near as evil as knowingly killing many loved pets and family members.

My Cat Died

.. I lost my cat Goober to the Hartz flea & Tic shampoo when he was 8 months old its been a little over a year now. I just found this web site. I had bought the Sergent’s drops but counldn’t bring myself to use them tell I checked it out on the computer because of what had happened with my cat Goober from the Hartz flea  & tic shampoo… I gave him his bath. and he started just crying out to me like he was in pain. I couldn’t figure it out and he was dead within about 10 min after his bath…. It was a Friday Night so we berried him Saturday Morning. I called The Hartz company Monday morning and told them what had happed.  I thought they really  cared  what had happened to goober and I thought that something must have happened like product tampering. So she said I could send it to them and they would check it out… So I sent it to them telling them that when I gave him the bath he started crying out. I thought he just didn’t like the bath. But after I took him out he kept crying and died within 10 mins. after the bath.. I sent it to them and within 2 weeks I received a letter from them telling me they was sorry for my loss. But without me sending the cat to them there wasn’t anyway of proving it was there product…. Maybe I couldn’t But I can tell others what happened to my cat Goober… And I let anyone that will lesson in the cat isle what happened so they wont have to go through the same thing as I did… So I hope you all will pass this on. I will go to the vet now for help with this I wont try another product off the shelf… Thank you for sharing. I might have tried the Sergent’s  if you hadn’t have wrote your review..Thank You