In december 2013, I had bought my girlfriend a cute, beautiful, little turkish angora kitten. We took it to the vet and found out it had mites and fleas. We updated all of her vaccinations and got vet friendly drops for the mites, but found their flea shampoo expensive. We went to wal mart and bought hartz flea shampoo. We have another older 9 year old cat Poose, who we thought would have picked up the fleas as well. So we decided to give both cats a shower to rid of the annoyance. A couple of days later, Poose was constantly in the cat litter meowing in pain and would vomit and lie around. Mind you Poose is all around a healthy cat. We took her to the vet and had to leave her over night, We had gotten blood tests done which came back saying the poor old girl was poisoned. Staying over night, the vet had given her antibiotics and she came back within a day, slightly recovered. The bill had come to over $200 and we weren’t very financially settled at the time. So, we decided to contact hartz to let them know that their flea collar and flea soap had poisoned our cat. We filed all of the paper work to apply for reimbursement. It took a few months for all the paper work to go through and we finally called because of no word from them. They had simply said that Poose’s symptoms didn’t match up to the other symptoms of other animals being sensitive to their product. What? please make sense of this for me. Poose lives a simple life. She is an indoor cat and eats the same food all the time. I’m out $250 and my intelligence is insulted and there’s nothing I can do.
Thanks for reading