Hartz chew n clean bones my

I have been buying the hartz chew n clean bones for my oldest dog for about two years. I work at a vet clinic and I am aware that Hartz is is a brand not to be trusted, but I thought the bones would be okay. I have never had any problems with them up until about a week ago. My younger dog has been chewing on the bones as well. He was having surgery to repair a fractured leg and when surgery was over he began bleeding out of his rectum, a lot. The doctor was suspecting internal bleeding because of the amount of blood. While my dog was passing the blood they found a small orange piece of plastic that was very sharp. The doctor came to the conclusion that the bleeding was caused by Colitis. Later on when my dog was being cleaned up a green piece of plastic was found, also very sharp. The only things in my house that are orange and green like those pieces of plastic are the hartz bones. I threw them away immediately. I cannot believe they are allowed to sell toys and bones for dogs that can cause so much damage. Thank god my dog is recovered now and has no more problems. I will only buy name brand toys from now on. 

6 thoughts on “Hartz chew n clean bones my”

  1. Thanks for posting that!
    I’ve been thinking lately about how this company, Hartz, can sell dangerous products – many of them! – and not have any consequences. If you read all the stuff people have posted here, you can tell that they have NO quality control over their products. Sometimes the products work fine, and other times, they’re fatal for an animal. Obviously, the products vary widely in quality. So, why isn’t this on the front page of the newspaper?
    The only thing I can come up with is that pet owners do not have the means with which to do any meaningful investigations. We’d have to start with post mortem exams (money) and then investigate what Hartz says is in their products, find out what is REALLY in the products, then get a neutral party who understands all of these things to write up a report about it. And only then could some people create civil suits against the company (more money). And I know that Hartz spends whatever it takes on their lawyers.

    So, we do what we can. We post the stories here, maybe to prevent more problems. We talk to our friends. And vets! I reported two near-death experiences I had with nursing kittens using Hartz KMR products. I’m not sure the vet believed me, but I told her about this site and encouraged her to check it out. She had no explanation for the terrible sickness these tiny kitties had (and, I’m thankful, which they managed to survive).
    I still have three cans of that KMR, and I can’t in good conscience give it to anyone. I will probably be pouring it down the toilet (that stuff’s expensive!!) because I can’t let kittens use it. Haz mat removal, you know?

  2. Hartz flea and tic killer almost killed my peek a poo, he had developed a scab that took about 6 months to fall off, and no matter how many times he was bathed in Dawn soap, he was sick almost dead. The dawn soap bath actually saved his life, NEVER go for the Hartz flea and tic killer. I had always used the Frontline, but was broke that month, and thought I would save money…….well my dog almost died over it. My other dog (I have two) was okay. Its certain dogs and the chemicals are dangerous. ONLY USE the tic and flea chemical that your sure has fipronil.

  3. I just gave my Labrador that Chew N Clean bone and noticed that the plastic comes off and the edges are pretty sharp. This is a horrible toy and very dangerous!!!!! I am happy I noticed it right away. She already swallowed small pieces of the plastic but I hope she will be alright. Never again!!!!

  4. Gave our 22 lb terrier mix one of these and within a few hours noticed her yakking constantly, found the bone and at one end the plastic was chewed up with pieces missing probably in her stomach. These need to be pulled off the shelves immediately!!

  5. We recently (Jan 23, 2017) lost our dog Haze (Pitbull) because he ate a Hartz chew-n-clean dog bone. Haze would chew on the bone to clean his teeth and use it as a chew toy. Haze was less than 1.5 years old. Subsequently small pieces of plastic would be consumed and ultimately tore a hole in his stomach and intestines. Our dog started vomiting all of a sudden. We thought it was something else he ate. The Vet gave him a shot for the vomiting and it did nothing. For several days we tried feeding him baby food, bland food, etc. and no matter what he could not keep it down.

    After taking Haze to the Vet a 2nd time the Vet wanted to perform surgery. During the surgery the Vet called and said he found that his stomach and intestines had been cut by something he consumed. When I went to the Vet after he put our dog to sleep he handed me a bag of what they retracted from his insides. After further review, we could confirm the hard substance in the bag was the plastic pieces from the Hartz chew-n-clean dog bone toy.

    If you love your pet DO NOT ever give this to your dog or other animal as a chew toy. The small plastic pieces they can chew it into will cut the tissue of there stomach and intestines causing death. You never think a chew toy would be a death toy but that’s exactly what this Hartz chew-n-clean dog chew bone is.

  6. Thank you so much for posting. I checked because this garbage is made in China. They have about as much respect for a dog as they do everything else. I’m returning my chew n clean back to Walmart.

Leave a Reply to Rachel Erlichman Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *