large mix breed limping, coughing, vomiting and more.

I purchased Hartz Ultra Guard Pro for my large mixed breed dog, Ginger and my cats, Louie and Sophie last week on July 16, 2012. I know I didn’t apply it right away; I must have waited a couple of days or the weekend before applying this product but I noticed a day or two after applying it that Ginger was limping and seemed like she just did not feel good. She’s been very lethargic, intermittent coughing like kennel cough, vomited once, limping like she can hardly move, and she seems very unsteady on her feet, and it seemed as though she had lost her appetite although she was still eating but in small amounts. She is still drinking water, but  not as much as it seemed like she should be drinking. This evening I came upon this website after doing a search online; plus I didn’t really start putting the pieces together until today while I was working from home (July 24). I thought she had sprained her ankle or something so I tried giving her an Advil tablet with food, but as soon as it wore off, she was back to limping really badly and even seemed unsteady in many ways almost like she was having hip problems or something. When I first did my search online with her symptoms (coughing, limping, unsteadiness, vomiting, etc) it looked like she might have been poisoned. Tonight, July 24 after researching the Hartz Ultra Guard Pro product that I purchased, I was SHOCKED to read that so many other people had experienced the same or similar issues with their animals. I can’t believe they run commercials for this product on TV but the first red flag for me should have been what I read on the back of the box, “Environmental Hazards: This product is toxic to fish.” Immediately I took my dog outside and did exactly what recommended which was washing her with Dawn where the product was applied. I scrubbed her twice because she has a really thick coat and it repels water like a Labradors coat.

This is unbelievable!!! I’ve been typing my post and literally I toweled dried her off about an hour ago. Ginger came to the back door and wanted to come back inside. As I was letting her in, I noticed she was not limping and she seemed to have perked up! …Also she just ate a whole bowl of dog food! I will never use their products EVER again!!! Clearly Ginger’s thick fur must have given her some protection against this awful product! I’ll have to wait and see how she is the rest of the week and determine if we should go to the Vet. I never imagined that anything could cause such an adverse reaction to an animal. And thank God I never applied it to my cats…I can only imagine the reaction they would have had since they are smaller animals. Hartz should be sued for their poisonous products!!

4 thoughts on “large mix breed limping, coughing, vomiting and more.”

  1. My dog has the same symptom as this dog not eating or drinking coughing vomiting just lays around. I have check him for sore but nothing I have used two doses on him will not use the third one. Why haven’t they taken this off the market ? I would of never know if my daughter hadn’t sent me this info. Very pissed that the company has done nothing about this.

  2. Ibuprofen and/or advil should NEVER be given to a cat OR a dog.PLAIN aspirin and check with your vet to see whether it needs to be halved or quartered.Better…buy the aspirin for animals at a pet supply..lower dosages.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *