RAW NECK FROM FLEA COLLAR

My cat is almost 16 years old now, still with the life of a 4 year old. She had fleas, so after about a month without the flea medicine from frontline, i bought her a flea collar because we had just had the house exterminated for fleas, to make sure they didnt come back for a while. (to stop having to pay for frontline). I buy a flea collar to keep remaining flea eggs from hatching and living on the cat, to reduce the risk of it happening again, and trying to save my mom money… BIG MISTAKE.
The flea collar only a couple weeks in made my cats neck raw on one side, covered in a giant scab about and inch in length and 3/4 of one in width. She also has a few other scabs around her neck area, but at first I thought it was from a fight with a cat that jumped over our fence and happened to land on my cat.
I looked up pictures of the side effects from the flea collar, and it looks like thats what could have happened if i let it stay on there for a few months like it said on the package. That’s disgusting. what if my cat of FIFTEEN AND A HALF YEARS since I was 3 died because she was poisoned by something that I THOUGHT was going to help her, but really I was poisoning her.

6 thoughts on “RAW NECK FROM FLEA COLLAR”

  1. Some people get bad reactions from wearing silver or copper jewelry. That doesn’t stop people from making jewelry out of those metals, because most people aren’t sensitive.

    It’s definitely possible that your cat was having an allergic reaction to the flea collar, but that doesn’t mean that she was being poisoned. (Hartz flea collars would cause seizures and convulsions if they were poisoning your cat.)

  2. Okay, google Hartz flea collar cat and look at a cars neck that was completely raw 2 inches tall all the way around. Either way she is still a Hartz victim, so you correcting me telling me there wasn’t a poisonous reaction? It burned away her skin.. And it’s still recovering. I don’t know why you felt that it was “possible”, when evidently it was happening?

  3. @ Cassie: just in case you’re a 12 year old, or just not particularly bright, may I suggest … do some research.

  4. Flea collar was on my cat for 4 days. I noticed a big piece of her fur came off. I took the collar off and her neck is red and raw all the way around. I feel terrible! What is going on with those collars?!

  5. I’ve used flea collars and drops on my cats since they were old enough for the treatments. They’re determined to be indoor/outdoor cats so I figure I’ll atleast try to keep them comfy. Today I was petting my little Leo when I noticed an irritated spot on his neck. He comes back in with scratches regularly so I just thought it was a particularly nasty spot. But I always check them out and put some Neosporin on it, so I checked it out as normal. When I looked closer I saw that it was not a scratch but a seeping wound. The hair and skin is completely gone and attached to the collar! I’m floored! It looks so bad! He’s never had a reaction before. Neither of my cats has. And I’ve been using they’re products for years. Now I’m freaking out and panicking, reading this page is really scaring me. I’ve been poisoning my babies? I’ve taken the collars off of both of my cats and washed the area on their necks with a warm washcloth and antibacterial soap and now I’m wondering how to treat the wound left. Neosporin? or a Burn cream? He’s deffinately going to the vet. Both of them but until then what can I do?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *