Via email from Kara:
“Hello, I wanted to share our story with you. Our puppy is a very lucky survivor of Hartz products. Here is his story:
Our 12 week old min pin/toy poodle puppy is a VERY lucky survivor of Hartz. On May 7th I applied Hartz Ultra Guard drops on the advice of a family member who we got our puppy from (it is what she uses on her dogs, not anymore!). I followed the directions on the package, as he was over 4 pounds and 12 weeks old, and I only used HALF of a vial!
Exactly 24 hours after I applied the product, on May 8th, he started having seizures. An hour after they started he had no control over his body and was paralyzed in his back legs. His seizures were severe and violent, and while they waxed and waned in how spaced apart they are, most of the time they were 1-2 minutes apart (lasting about 30 seconds). He had them for 12 hours straight. He also lost control of his bladder, and was completely unresponsive the whole time minus a period in the middle for about an hour.
We thought he was going to die about 4 times because he wasn’t breathing well. Thankfully he was given enough drugs to break the seizures, and he had no liver or kidney damage. We still weren’t sure if he would have any lasting neurological effects because at this point he was still partially paralyzed. After sleeping for 8 hours, he woke up and sat up!! He started out really unsteady and wobbly, but little by little he grew stronger and steadier. By last night on May 9th, he was playing again and getting back to his normal self.
When my husband tried calling Hartz to talk to them about it, he got a scripted response about our vet doing an autopsy on our dog and if they could PROVE their product is what killed him, then MAYBE they would reimburse us for our vet bills. When my husband then got upset (NOT rude or mean, simply upset as our puppy that we were already bonded to was suffering b/c of their product) THEY HUNG UP ON HIM! When he called back, they transferred him to a “vet” in their poison control line, and she was surprised our dog was still alive.
They were extremely rude, and proved that they know their products have this effect on pets, but they don’t care.We are so thankful that he survived, and so far has no lasting effect of his ordeal. We are doing our best to spread the word about how bad Hartz products are.”