I wish i knew about the bad bad HARTZ earlier…..

SKIP TO LAST PARAGRAPH FOR CONCLUSION

 

Last summer, I saw an abandoned kitten around my neighborhood…

Fed him for a week (and even tried playing with him) and I finally gained his trust… I was able to put him in a cage and brought him home…. He was full of fleas and ticks (otherwise very energetic and chatty).

I have other cats at home and I thought it would be a good idea to put ONLY ONE……. ONEEEEEEEE drop of Hartz Ticks & Fleas drops on the back of his neck……

Right after I’ve done that, he started to become VERY LETHARGIC… PAWS and GUMS BECAME VERY PALE AND COLD… COULD NOT SWALLOW food/liquid…

I panicked and brought him to the vet (not the one my other pets normally see as he was on vacation)… sadly.. the vet said there was nothing he could do (????)…

I did not give up after I went home… I fed milk + A/D from hills with a syringe and naively hoped that he would get better…

but no….. i spent the whole day staying by his side.. … and that night, all of a sudden when i was cuddling him… HE LOOKED ME IN THE EYE…BREATHED SO HARD THAT IT LOOKED LIKE HE WAS SUFFOCATING… N BREATHED ONE LAST BREATH…..

that’s how he died… in my arms…

till this date… i still cant stop myself from tearing whenever I think about this lovely kitten which I’ve named as Jamie… we could not spend a lot time together but the very very short time that we had together, I ‘ve already built a very strong bond with him…

I love you Jamie and you will ALWAYS ALWAYS be in my heart…

 

MORAL of the story: DO NOT USE HARTZ FLEA & TICKS PRODUCTS … and as an advice, DO SOME RESEARCH on ANY PET PRODUCT before you decide to administer it to your pets even if you vet says the product is totally safe….

 

Our Golden Retriever Louie died from Hartz Rope Toy

About 7 years ago, My daughter and I got a beautiful beloved Golden Retriever Louie we adopted at 9 months, about 6 months after our 10 year old beloved Golden Retriever Mona died of Cancer. I loved buying Louie toys he would get so excited. I went & bought him a Hartz Nylon Rope Toy. Little did I know that the quality was so bad, he was able to Ingest It & the rope entangled In his stomach & intestines, and the nylon swelled up when he ate dinner that night & he died two days later. I had not known he ate It, until My daughter & I saw him spewing bowel with string In It & the Vet did ex rays.  I have had dogs my whole life and rope toys were never an issue, never  able to be actually eaten, and not of this poor quality Hartz put out, my first (Hartz toys) a bad Imitation Kong by Hartz too. After 2 Vet appointments & on the way to the 3rd visit he died on the back seat of my daughter car while we were driving to see a new vet, he stopped breathing. The Vet informed me to be careful of Pet products out there, In my naiveness of actually thinking then that they were safe because the company sold them for your Pets enjoyment (now I know better) I owe It to you, to beware & to Louie’s honor when his life was cut short (1 &1/2 years old) I want to let you know I will never PURCHASE a Hartz product, much less look at one, I get ILL every-time I pass a store aisle with Hartz toys for sale. I love my Pets, but now I spoil them with everything good, and never again will use any Hartz product. This Is In In Honor of Our Sweet Louie Booie who’s life was cut short by a Hartz Nylon Rope Toy. We loved you Louie your with Mona now, even though you were just a pup.

Could it be it???

I saved a 2 years old dogs from a rescue a few months ago. I had one other rescue and they got fleas. I bought Hartz flea shampoo anspray…Since then, she’s been itching extremely…She lost a lot of fur due to the extrem itching…Went to the vet and he couldn’t tellement what was wrong with her…He gave me antibiotics and cortisone…The last one helped but as soon as we stopped it, she began itching again….Also she seems to be drinking a lot…..she can drink 3 bowls per day…She also lost weighteven if  she seems to be eating…I know I must see a vet but is there anything else I can do to help her???

Don’t use Sentry Natural Flea and Tick drop either

In the hopes of finding a less toxic product, one that doesn’t use the pyrethrin based pesticides that many of the products do, I tried the Sentry Natural Flea and Tick drop. $500 dollar mistake!! Immediately following my application of the product to my cat she became very lethargic. I suspected something to be wrong right away so I attempted to wash off as much of the product as possible… obviously not enough. Over the last couple of days she has had a lost of appetite, been unable to maintain body temp and has been in a general malaise.

Today, approximately one week after the treatment, she all but collapsed. We rushed her to the pet emergency center. She had sings of abdominal tenderness, but in addition she was also very sensitive at base of her tail. The vet as an precautionary measure suggested xrays to rule out any possible trauma and to see if there was any internal bleeding. That all came back clear, but during the xray she urinated bloody urine.

With the xray showing nothing and bloody urine the Doctor could only speculate that she either had a Urinary Tract Infection or was dealing with acute poisoning. At that point I contacted the manufacturer “Sergeant” where I was connected with a Veterinary Tech at first and then later a Veterinary Toxicologist. Nothing concrete was said from the distributer, but the level of attention I received leads me to believe that I am not the first caller.

So now, after spending $500 at the vet, my cat received a bath in Dawn dishwashing fluid (the same soap used to wash oiled wildlife), is on a fluid regiment, will be receiving antibiotics twice daily at a dose of 125cc of Amoxicillin and is still barely able to stand.

It is utterly outrageous and completely inexcusable that a company produce a product which contains a know poison to an animal. When I spoke with the toxicologist at the ASPCA they asked if she has consumed Antifreeze in the same sentence as asking about peppermint oil.

Please consider twice before purchasing this item!