My precious cat, Tigger, DIED from HARTZ flea powder

I am beside myself over the death of my cat Tigger.  I wish I could go back & do things differently.  I feel like I failed him.  I had no idea how harmful  (and in my case, Fatal) these Hartz products are.  And WHY are these products still on the market ???

It all started on Tuesday Feb. 14, I applied some Hartz Ultra Guard Flea Powder to Tigger.  Now, according to the directions, I was to cover his entire back from his neck to his tail, and his stomach & legs.  OK, I only applied the powder on half of his back, down by his tail….thats it.  I had never used this powder or any other flea product on Tigger or the other cats before. They’ve never had fleas being that they are indoor cats only.  That was applied around 1 pm Tuesday….

Wednesday morning Tigger ate some breakfast, but around 11 am he started throwing up.  At first I didn’t think much of it because my cats do throw up fairly regularly due to hairballs.  I had to work between 1-4 pm that afternoon, and when I got home he was still sick & he also had diarhea, so I called Hartz. They asked me some questions & then told me to take Tigger to the vet. Well, by then it was almost 4;30 & my vet’s office wasn’t taking anymore patients that day & I was told to go to the local animal hospital.  So, I took Tigger to the hospital.  As soon as I told the vet what I had used, he shook his head & told me thoes products were very bad.  He wanted to keep Tigger overnight & try to flush out his system.  But, they wanted me to pay that night 75% of the estimated bill of $1000.00, which was $750.00 and I didn’t have it. I made a couple phone calls, but was unable to put together that amount.  The vet gave Tigger fluids & I took him home.  I have to say, I really didn’t grasp the seriousness of the situation. I certainly didn’t think he would die.  I thought it would pass through his system & he’d be OK.  That simply did not happen.

Thursday morning, Tigger was sitting quietly by himself, he looked at me while I petted him, but he wouldn’t drink any water & he had saliva & what looked like bubbles coming out of his mouth.  I didn’t know what else to do for him. I was still in denial about the seriousness of what was happening. Tigger wasn’t crying or meowing and thankfully didn’t appear to be in any pain, although I still wonder about that & get very upset recalling all of this. Tigger passed away at 11am Wednesday Feb. 16, 2012.

I can’t tell you have much this has hurt me.  I miss Tigger something awful.  I do not understand why, when its happened so many times, does the EPA allow this company to sell these poisoness products ????  I wish I had done some research about this product before I used it, but I thought its just a powder & Hartz has been around for years, I never thought for a second that it would be harmful.

I am now telling everyone about this company & what their product did to my pet & countless others.

My Tigger was the sweetest cat I could of asked for. He was always with me. I have been sick a lot lately, and every time I wouls lay down, Tigger would lay right up agaisnt me. He would either rest his head on my arm, or I would wrap my arm around him, and thats how we would fall asleep.  He was so special to me & irreplaceable as far as I’m concerned.  I don’t want anyone else to have to go through what I went through, or their pet to suffer the way my Tigger did.

4 thoughts on “My precious cat, Tigger, DIED from HARTZ flea powder”

  1. Both of my cats died in January 3 weeks apart from Hartz products. I feel your pain and sorrow and feel your statement about how you feel guilty. Its a horrible travesty that these products are in fact still on the market. I am very sorry for your loss. Reading your story brought back every feeling of loss and pain from my babies. I hope they do something to get this poison off of the markets.

  2. The exact same thing happened to my son’s cat, Shadow, last August. By the time we got to his place she was gone….he said it was his fault cuz he put the powder on her. We convinced him that he was just as much of a victim as she was. HARTZ, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF FOR KILLING OUR BELOVED FURBABIES !!!!!!!!!!

  3. The exact thing happened to my otherwise very healthy cat, Ripley, who died today–less than 48 hours after a small amount of Sergeant’s Flea and Tick Powder, lot no. 2995SPR1P1, for Cats was put on his back. This product needs to be banned!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *