This story came in via email from Patrice:
“On Friday I bought hartz ultra guard pro flea & tick drops for my two cats in walmart. I put the drops between the shoulder blades
of each of my cats. For some reason immediately after the application my curiosity brought me online to research this hartz product I had just applied. I was in total disbelief after reading all the horrific reports about hartz. Immediatly after reading I thoroughly washed the oil (poison) from both of my cats necks with dawn dish soap, rinsed & went to bed.
“The next morning I noticed Hoatzin (pronounced Watson) the love bug one was nowhere to be found. When I found him he was shaking his back legs as if he had something stuck to them. This went on all morning with all his limbs shaking. I phoned several vets that were closed for the weekend & ended up bringing him to the vet ER only after giving him a second bath to remove more oil from his neck & coat. The vet was concerned & shook his head in a familiar manor, telling me this is “poison”. After performing a series of physical tests the vet concluded he has neuro damage which could get worse, could be permanent or go away I have to wait & see.
“Fast forward to present time (Tuesday) he has bounced back to his normal self. I’m not sure why the medicine did not have the same effect on Ha’ Penny (my other kitty). That said it’s not worth the gamble to see if its going to effect your pets health or not.
This was a traumatic experience. Makes me so sad & angry that this product is available on the shelves for consumers to buy in order to protect their animals from little pests (fleas) that won’t kill them. Bottom line my cat was harmed due to Hartz.”