Hartz Flea & Tick drops almost killed my dog

Bentley is a 2.5 yr old chihuahua mix weighing about 13 lbs. I applied the Hart Flea @ Tick drops for dogs 4-15lbs. My dog almost died. I applied them at approximately 5pm and around 10pm everyone went to bed as usual. Luckily he sleeps with my mom and she felt him shaking around 12am and felt a wet spot on the bed (which turned out to be vomit). She woke me up and it was a sight I will never forget. Bentley was shaking uncontrollably, couldn’t walk, drooling and had a heartbeat that was out of control. I immediately called my vet and she met me at her office. She immediately frowned when I told her what I had given him that day and told me to never use that again (worse thing on the market). We bathed him, IV was put in, valium was given and I was told not to get my hopes up because there was a high probability he wouldn’t make it. Luckily after 12 hrs of observation and more medication my Bentley was back to normal.

It cost me approximately $800 to save him. Trust me I would’ve paid anything but this would’ve never happened if Hartz wasn’t allowed to continue selling a product that is obviously killing/harming our pets. Please warn all your friends and family!! Maybe enough people will stop purchasing their products and they will finally go away.

3 Replies to “Hartz Flea & Tick drops almost killed my dog”

  1. Oh my Lord! I bought this stuff over the weekend. I put it on my 4 year old mini american eskimo Maizey. By MONDAY she was no longer walking. She was scratching at her self like she was being attacked. She wouldnt walk, eat, drink or go to the bathroom. I brought her to the vet, and he gave her antibiotics and something for her stomach. We were thinking she must have ate something bad. Well, on Tuesday morning after being up with her all night while she cried, I thought to look up this product. I nearly fell off my chair. I called the vet, when I started to tell them about what I had put on her, I didn’t even have to finish my sentence! He told me to immediately wash her in Dawn Blue Dish Liquid, I did several times, and then gave me a window of a couple of hours to see if she was any better. Of course she wasn’t, she had burns on her from where it was applied. I brought her back to the vet and they ended up keeping her. It was HORRIBLE. They put her on Tramadol. I called the 800 number and the woman was very matter of fact about what it does to these dogs! She said to them it feels like prickly heat and also makes their skin feel like its falling asleep. No big deal. My Maizey got to come home yesterday and with the pain medication she will be on for 6 more days, she will be okay. IS THIS A JOKE????? GET THIS OFF THE MARKET NOW. I will NOT be letting this go.

  2. This is disgusting! I too almost murdered my chihuhaua! Thnk God it was not bed time or i would have woke to a dead animal. I put the same drops on in the morning around 9:00 and noticed around 11:00 a.m. that he was stumbling, and looked paralyzed on one side of his mini little body. I flipped! Called a Vet that said bring in right away. I had already began bathing him washing him off over and over to remove the rest of that poison, when Vet suggested washing him with dishwashing soap. By the time I got him to the Vey he was crying out in pain, just from being. He was twitching, and making odd quick movements, and I thought this is it, he’s done. They took him back for inspection, and brought him back out not long after, to say i could go home with him. Vet said that it had probably saved him bathing him so quickly and often after application. They said still not outof danger, must watch him for 5 days , eating , drinking etc. He still was still moving oddly twitching and crying. The vet said that the poison affects them neurolgiclly, and shsould go away. Its now 2 days after , and althought he still kicks his back legs out violently, and lookss miserable, he is getting better. Hartz need to sort out their Murder product. I will never buy another of their products for ANY^ reason, because of this avoidable sitch.

  3. A few years ago, my family was taking a trip to the lake. My dad bathed our beautiful golden retriever girl, Sidney, and applied the tick remover or if you’d like to call it the killing liguid😒 please PLEASE do not apply this on your dog. My dog was killed. KILLED. She isn’t alive. She died just weeks after being a normal puppy and having that applied. Dogs are a mans best friend. I cried and cried. Thanks a lot stupid tick remover.
    Anyways… I can’t take her back but I wish I could, but I’ll try to help save your dog! PLEASE DO NOT APPLY THIS PRODUCT! NOT ONE POSITIVE COMMENT..

Leave a Reply to Janice Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *