It became apparent that our sweet little Griffin, an indoor cat, was being attacked by fleas. Not knowing any better, we picked up Hartz UltraGuard at the grocery store and, as directed, squeezed the contents of the tube onto the back of his neck at the base of his skull. Within a few hours, the poor little guy was obviously in distress. He was hiding in closets and corners (which is extremely strange behavior for him), he vomited, he began howling as if he was in pain, and he had difficulty walking.
I immediately got online to do some research and found this website. Of course, I was horrified by what I had just done to our beloved pet. We scooped him up, grabbed the dishwashing detergent, and scrubbed the greasy stuff off his back as quickly as we could. He continue behaving strangely for a few more hours, but today is “the day after” and he appears to be fine and I think we’ve been forgiven for our stupidity.
I can’t believe how naive I was. I’m so glad this site exists. Without it, it may’ve been too late to save our little guy. I just wish there was some way of sharing this message with people BEFORE their pets have scary reactions to this stuff. Shouldn’t the labels have more warnings?! It just doesn’t seem right that’s so readily available and so harmful.