Two nights ago my mother gave me one tube of hartz flea drops. I applied it to my 8 month old rag-doll kitten around 6 pm. At 4am the next morning my boyfriend heard the cat scratching the carpet up (which she never does), when we got up and turned the light on she was lying on the ground foaming at the mouth. I picked her up and noticed that she was having a seizure. I immediately called the emergency animal hospital they told me that my kitten was having a reaction due to the Hartz flea drops and that I should bring her in. I was then told that it would cost me 150 dollars for them just to look at her. I knew that I would not be able to afford the whole cost once it was totaled so I had no other choice but to wait for the animal hospital down the street to open. At 9am… I had to watch my poor kitty twitch uncontrollably between each seizure. It was the most horrifying thing i had ever witnessed. And all I could think was that I did this to my baby, I put this product on her and now she is going to die.
Finally, at 9am when the hospital opened I brought her in. It was a devastating wait but 300 dollars later i found out that she lived and would be coming home with me later that day. I couldn’t be happier. All this happened because I trusted a product that said it kills fleas, not knowing it would almost kill my kitty.
The vet said that the clinical condition of my kitty was consistent with an overdose of topical flea medication (HARTZ FLEA DROPS) How are they able to sell a product that kills innocent animals without any warning?
I swear that I will never purchase any Hartz product from this day forward, I will also tell everyone I know to do the same thing and so should you.