My kitten Sugar was 5 months old with fleas. She was an outdoor cat before my 7 year old and I adopted her. I gave her a bath and then applied some of the Hartz flea drops for kittens over 3 months. The only warning on the packet was “toxic to fish”. Nothing about the danger it could cause.
She was catatonic, very sleepy. I thought maybe she was just half-freaked from a bath. The next day she didn’t eat or drink much and only wanted held. I took her to the vet the next morning, they gave her a bath to get all the Hartz off of her and hooked her up to IV’s. They kept her overnight. Today they informed me she had fluid in her lungs from cardiac distress. She held on a few more hours, but passed away this afternoon.
I broke the news to my 7 year old. He lost his father a year and a half ago to cancer, and now he has another loss. A useless loss that never should have happened. I wish Hartz could have been with me to see my little boy sob. They should be held accountable for this!