I came home from work and my grandma left this Hartz flea guard bullsquat on the table. I took Mao upstairs to the bathroom and applied the product between her shoulders at around 5:30 PM. Then as i studied for my midterm, I noticed that she was able to reach it and was licking the Hartz flea treatment off of her fur. I read the package and it said Hazardous to humans so I figured that it wouldn’t be any better for her.
I washed her, scrubbed her mouth out and dried her up before leaving for my midterm. I came home at about 8PM and she was limp, weak and overall not herself. She was shivering and her eyes were rolling to the back of her head. I began to watch her more closely. I thought she was sleeping at first but then I realized that her breathing was slowing to the point where she had stopped breathing for too long and I shook her.
She came to but I realized that she probably wouldn’t make it through the night.
Immediately, I rushed her to the animal hospital in the town over and admitted her to the emergency room.
The vet told me that Hartz is the cause of many animals who had been brought to him and died shortly after. He said that the product should not be allowed in stores and that I should have paid for the more expensive ($60.00-70.00) brand like Front Line instead of paying $900.00 for my emergency pet hospital bill. She was running a temperature of 104 and convulsing by the time I got her to the hospital. Her eyes were irritated and red and she was limp.
They’re doing all that they can for her and I just hope she lives through this.
This kitten has given my grandma a new spark of life, excitement and companionship. She’s given me a lot of serenity and support when I’ve needed it the most.
How the hell is Hartz allowed to exist! I want these products removed from their shelves and I want the Hartz company owners to pay for their crimes against the consumers who want to kill the fleas, not their damn pets!