Fortunately, I noticed the signs of my cat Cricket being ill very quickly, so I got her into the vet pretty early, but even so a day and a half later she’s still not herself. My manfriend put Sergeant’s Silver on her even though I told him to never use anything but Frontline, and I had no idea that he had done it. I noticed the next day she had foam around her mouth, she was wheezing, lethargic, drinking tons of water and basically hanging out in front of her water bowl unable to move. She stopped eating and her eyes started tearing. I asked the man friend what he had given her, and he told me and I immediately called the medical line listed on the package. They told me the only reason she would have those symptoms is because she “must have licked it, and cats cant spit so they foam and drink lot of water.” Then I got angry and said, “so we’re just going to ignore the wheezing, not eating, and lethargy are we?!” Then he said she must have ingested it somehow and I needed to take her to the vet.
The Vet said that Cricket definitely did not ingest the Sergeant’s Silver, but this was Toxicity/Toxic Shock caused by contact with her skin alone. Fortunately my rapid response to her symptoms meant she only had mild toxicity. They had to keep her overnight, bathe her a few times with special shampoo, and give her atropine to stop the foaming. The bill was only $93 so I was very lucky, but the vet and I agree, this product should not be sold to an uninformed public! They sell this crap at WalMarts all over the country! It kills people’s pets all the time or costs them gobs of money. You all should call the company responsible and DEMAND REIMBURSEMENT FOR YOU VET BILL! This is not one of the possible hazards listed on the box, so they are duty bound to do that. If they resist, threaten a class-action lawsuit. If you want to start one, email me. I’d be more than happy to help.