This story came in via email from Marina:
“I didn’t know where to write, but I would like to share a story of my own. I have two cats at home and needed a flea protection for them. So I went to the store and bought over the counter flea medication “Sergeant’s Gold” for my cats. I applied it on both cats following the instructions. The same day they were acting strange: shaking heads, salivating and foaming out of the mouth and became very lethargic. I kept a close eye on them. The next morning my one cat could not even get up on his paws, so I went online to see information on adverse reactions. Sergeant’s web site recommended washing pet with dish detergent to wash off the medication which I did right away. My one cat got significantly better after a bath. The other one got very sick and started seizuring and throwing up everywhere, so I took one cat to emergency clinic, where he received fluids and was monitored for the next couple hours. Doctor said to give him rest and keep an eye on him for the next 24 hours, which I did. After that we had a follow up visit to the vet on Thursday and they did the same thing. My cat never got better. That bath didn’t help him at all. Other than the bath the company couldn’t offer better help. On Sunday morning we ended up taking him to the emergency clinic again. They put him on IV fluids and did a blood work that showed up that his kidneys were shutting down. We kept him in the hospital throughout the day where he passed away in my arms on Sunday night from renal failure. He was just over one year old, perfectly healthy cat. I am writing this to warn all other pet owners that “Flea medication can harm or kill your pet” (the box does not state that). I did some research about this product online and found out that this was not an isolated incident. Consumers Report website stated hundreds of cases like that. I am very surprised that this product is still on the shelves of our markets and it is EPA approved!!! If this is not an animal cruelty, then what is it? The most upsetting part of it is we as consumers by buying this product keeping it on the shelves and poisoning our pets at the same time.
I hope you would review this letter and post some sort of warning on your web site or make a news line, something. It is very hard to tragically lose your loved ones either it is a family member or a pet. If necessary I will testify against this product and company if needed. We need to take this stuff off the shelves before any other innocent animal dies. “