My 27 month old shih tzu is going through this now

I just read other posts. He had the flea treatment at 10 am this morning, was fine, playing with my other 5 adopted dogs. He has had over the counter flea treatments before with no side effects, nor contraindications. He just had his physical in April and is a healthy 2 year old shih tzu.  He is jumping around, whining, restless, and his nose is warm. His eyes, and gums look ok. I just bathed him and used a dishwashing detergent to get the poison off. I am waiting for his vet to call back. We will do whatever it takes to get him well. This is the only thing it could be. I have been with him all day. He is an indoor dog , has not eaten anything other than his dog food and drank water.

One thought on “My 27 month old shih tzu is going through this now”

  1. I am sorry you are going throught this with your pet. Waiting it out is not good however, as the poison travels through the skin into their sebaceous glands and spreads all over their body. That is why you can put say drops on a neck but the butt will go bald, it travels around their body and the poison will linger in their system for several weaks and there also can be cumulative effects on them that you simply wont notice.

    A cat in pain will often sleep it off, so a cat can react and be in pain, sleeping in a bed and an owner might just see it as being lazy and not even realize its sick.

    Not all animals react the same or at the same time. You may have used the products before without noticing any outward effects but then on a subsequent dose the animal can drop dead or have a violent reaction ~ same as a person who may have had pennicillin for example, safely as a child but as an adult gets a dose from a dentist and ends up in an ER…

    Once the poison is in them, they need to be well hydrated to help rid them of the toxic levels – my Vet kept my cat on an IV for 36 hours and also gave her anticonvulsants, muscle relaxers for the tremors and some other med for the seizures. The vet said the process for the animal with this toxic reaction is very painful, so it isnt enough to let it lay around and wait it out. They need vet help, or at least some meds from the Vet to ease their pain and discomfort.

    The treatment is expensive no matter how you go about it and maybe when a vet is made aware that you can not afford the treatment, might suggest waiting it out or let you decide to wait it out, but you are gambling with your pets life at this point, caught perhaps between a rock and a hard place.

    I couldnt afford what happened to my cat. It just happened to happen the night before my disability check came, so it went on the emergency vet treatment, leaving me behind on my rent for the next 2 months and also not being able to re-register and get my cars inspected. This ruined my entire summer, being stuck home with no transportation!

    Still now my cat is recovered and in reflection I am getting angrier at the manufacturers who sell this garbage and as I onky blamed myself initially, I see by all the other people who have made similar mistakes with these pet care products, that the common denominator is that the manufacturers are the ones presenting these products to us all to deal with the problem of getting rid of fleas and they are culpable for their ingredients and it isnt enough to pass the blame on down to the consumer since the mfr may have blasted alot of tech words or tricky warnings, buried into the labeling.

    Many people I have spoken with thought the warnings were simply there to make you have to buy more than one tube at a time if you had both dogs and cats or if you have alot of dogs to buy more individual doses than a dose for a larger dog to divide on the smaller ones…

    Assumptions that are commonly made by consumers can not be used to remove blame from the manufacturers. It is the governments responsibility to look out for the consumer when regulating these products and so both the manufacturer and government have failed the pet owners.

    It is now up to pet owners to raise their voices and make Congress hear them and change the regulations so that Manufacturers can no longer sell these poisons over the counter to unsuspecting pet owners who then use them on their pets and the pets get sick or die as a result.

    A class action suit may be needed, but these poisons need to be banned and pet owners should be reimbursed for their medical costs relating to the reactions their pets had as a result of being used on them..

Leave a Reply to AveHurley Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *