On May 13, 2009 I applied the flea drops to the neck of my one year old cat, Belle. It was not long after that I noticed an odd noise in the kitchen. When I went to check, I found Belle in the midst of a seizure. What I heard was him thumping around in the chair. I called my husband to the kitchen to help. After the seizure Belle was stretched out like he was trying to cough up a hairball, thinking he was choking, my husband grabbed the flash light and checked in his throat. It was right after this that the cat went limp. While my husband was performing CPR on Belle, I noticed he was not breathing. Not sure on how to give a cat mouth-to-mouth, I just put his entire nose and mouth in my mouth and gently blew until I saw his ribs expand as if he were breathing. After what seemed like an eternity, he started severe twitching and had fully dilated pupils. Then another seizure. My husband wrapped Belle in a towel and off to the emergency vet.
As soon as I got to the vets office, they asked about flea drops and I told them that I had used some earlier on Belle. They knew right off which brand, Hartz. After a bath, an all night long IV, valium, and another drug to counter-effect the flea drops my Belle is fine and healthy. According to the vet, 5 out of ever 1,000 cats have this sort of reaction that Belle had and were it up to him, this stuff would be pulled from the market.
Today, a few weeks later, Belle is back to normal and healthy. Were it not for the fact that Belle is a year old healthy cat, I am not sure he would be here today. Toss the Hartz in the garbage.