Unfortunately, I was not aware of the fatal consequences of many of the flea prevention spot treatments. I have 2 cats, Seven is 3 years old and Russia is 8 and a half months old. They are truly the highlight of my day, mainly because they are with me when I get up in the morning and right there every night when I go to bed. Well, yesterday evening I put the Zodiac flea spot treatment on both of my cats around 8pm after noticing them scratching a few times around the collars. My mother had given me the tube because it was left over from my parents cats. At 3am this morning I woke up to one of the cats racing through the apartment banging herself against the walls. When I got into the spare bedroom Russia (the youngest one) was laying on the floor tremoring and gasping for breath in her own urine. When I realized there was something REALLY wrong I called for my fiance to get up and find Seven (the other cat). He nearly broke the bed trying to get her out and she, as well, was tremoring and having a hard time breathing. I KNEW it had to have been the flea treatment because it was the ONLY thing common to the situation. In a panic I got them in the carriers and to the ER vet…I was crying so hysterically my fiance had to drive. It was fortunate that I woke up and found them when I did, because the vet told me that from the tremors, their body temperature had risen to a FATAL level and a few more hours, they would have been dead. Basically, the zodiac flea treatment had poisoned them and it was shutting down their nervous system. Needless to say, many tears, an EXTREMELY large vet bill for 2 cats later, my poor babies are currently sedated on IV fluids and medication to counteract the poison from this TERRIBLE flea treatment.
As of now, they are hopefully going to make it through this, but I have been informed by my vet that there could be greater consequences that won’t show up until later on because of the toxicity of the treatment. I truly beleive something needs to be done. It is a disgrace…literally.