My cat just died. I tried to revive him doing mouth to mouth, but it didn’t work…He died in my arms. I know now that he was poisoned from Hartz flea drops and flea collar. How do I join the fight to stop these bastards from selling this poison. I don’t want other people to feel the way I do. I feel helpless.
I almost lost a member of my family today. We used the above named product on my 5mth puppy Maggie to try to assist her in a flea problem that was causing her great discomfort. That was at about 11pm last night. At 8am this morning, she refused her food, which is not like her. About 2 hours later she vomitted and then began foaming at the mouth. She was lathargic and not her perky self. I immediately took her to the vet. I told him about her routine the night before, as soon as I said I gave her a flea bath he told me that was the cause. I was shocked to think that in trying to help this poor animal, I left her fighting for her life. The vet told me to call the company. They pleasently told me that this was not as a result of their product. After being on IV for 6hrs, I am happy to say that she was able to come home to her family. After reading all of your horror stories, I realize that my Maggie was one of the lucky ones. I am also convinced that the flea shampoo caused her to become so ill. I wanted to let all of you know the name of the product we used so prevent this from happening to anyone elses family member.
I used Hartz Ultra Guard Pro on my chihuahua about a month ago and the very first night he started throughing up. My husband has cancer so I was unable to take him to the vet. He through up every day for a week then died. It is so painful to write about that I am crying as I type. Something has to be done. My husband said he was acting like he was poisoned so I got suspicious about the flea drops and I found your site. How many pets have to die before this stuff is pulled off the market?
I found a few fleas on my dog yesterday so I went to the store and shopped for a flea treatment. The only choices at this store was Hartz or Sergents Gold. I chose Sergents Gold and came home and put the flea treatment on my one year old female Lhasa Apso, Zoey. It was around 3pm when I did this. Around 6pm I noticed that she was rolling on the floor whining. I thought that she just needed to go out side so I took her out. She was really figity and would lay down on the concrete. When she would get up I noticed the concrete was soaking wet where here mouth was. I looked at her and her mouth was filled with saliva and foam. I took her inside and she threw up. She tried to eat a little after this but she immediately threw up again. It was such a mess that I grabbed my phone and took her back outside so she could vomit in the grass. I tried to call my vet office but they were closed so I called the emergency vet hospital. They told me that if I could not get her to stop vomitting to bring her in. So I did. The drive took about 25 mins and the entire way there I heard my dog whine and bark like I have never heard before. I could tell that she was in pain and I felt horrible. As soon as we arrived and got out of the car she threw up again. Her vomitting was not normal like how a dog usually heaves and you can see thier body move as they are about to throw up. Her’s was just straight out of the mouth in a split second and thin she would be dripping saliva for the next few mins. I took her into the vet where again she threw up in the waiting room. They did a few tests on her and bathed her twice. The vet came and talked to me. She said that this is not uncommon for people who use Sergent Gold -AND- Hartz. She said that some of the symptoms are vomitting (as in my case), diarrhea, or seizures. They had to give her a fluid injection because she was so dehydrated, and they gave her meds to make the vomitting stop. This product is dangerous! It cost me $185 for the emergency vet vist and even more it put my poor dog in un-necessary pain. My boyfriend and I are trying to everything we can to get this off the market. Or at least warn people about it so they don’t have to go through what I went through with Zoey.
I’m writing this letter in response to my wife’s post..
Saddly today my family and I just finished burying not 1 but 2 of our beloved family members GABBYKATZ & ITTYBITTY. Unknowingly we used HARTZ FLEA AND TICK TREATMENT on our pets… the following day our oldest GABBYKATZ became ill;(vomiting-shaking-very lethargic & seizures) We called our vet and described the symptoms. The vet told to bring her in immediately. Once we arrived at the vets office Gabbykatz was rushed into the exam rm. The vet asked us if we had used any flea or tick medication recently ,our response was yes we had used Hartz . GABBYKATZ was rushed into the back where the vet and vet tech’s worked for 5 straight hrs on her.
5 hrs later we received the vets call informing us Gabbykatz had passed away and that if we used it on any of our other pets to bath them immediately. My wife and I followed the vets orders even though our other 2 cats showed no signs of any reaction; they were their normal selves (playing-climbing-chasing each other) We still followed the vets..later on that nite our ITTYBITTY started showing the same symptoms. She didnt suffer long; within 20 mins she too passed. HAD WE KNOWN THAT HARTZ FLEA AND TICK TREATMENTS COULD AND WILL KILL YOUR PETS WE WOULD HAVE NEVER USED IT…SO PLEASE BEFORE YOU USE ANY OTC TREATMENTS FOR YOUR PETS – DO SOME RESEARCH ON THE TREATMENTS YOU ARE GONNA USE OR AT THE LEAST CONSULT A VET … THE LITTLE TIME IT TAKES TO RESEARCH CAN AND WILL SAVE YOUR PETS LIVES…. GABBYKAZ & ITTYBITTY YOU BOTH WILL BE GREATLY MISSED
Yesterday I gave my Beagle and Golden Retriever, Sergeants Silver Flea medication. What happened within 2 short hours was scary. They both started whining and crying. They were scratching against everything they could find. They went nuts (for lack of better words). I had no idea what was going on. They normally sleep with my wife and I, but we had to put them out last night. We would not have been able to sleep. When I woke up this morning I almost cried. My Golden had rubbed all his hair and some skin off both his eye areas. He was bleeding terribly from where he rubbed himself raw. My Beagle was chewing himself to death, as was the Golden. I went on the computer and found out that Sergeants obviously markets a terrible product. I rushed both dogs to the Vet, and $100.00 later they are getting better. Numerous steroid shots, benadryl shots, etc helped. I am mad as hell and I just contacted Sergeants. I want my $100.00, and I ought to sue the bastards for what they did to my animals. If they don’t pay, I will hire an attorney. My vet said that I am lucky I didn’t put it on a cat. I would have had a dead cat. He has seen this too many times. How can our Government allow this product to be marketed.
I did not know that all flea and tick medication was not created equal. It was time to treat my dog, I was in Wal-Mart so I picked up some flea and tick medicine. I put it on my dog just like the package says, just like I do every month (but with frontline normally…). We went to sleep and I heard him moving a bit in the night but that is not unusual. He got up and ate breakfast normally. About 30 minutes after breakfast he started throwing up. At first of course it was just his food so I thought he just had a little upset stomach and didn’t think much of it until it was mid-afternoon, he had thrown up “mucus-looking” stuff 4 more times, he was listless and had zero interest in food, his favorite thing normally. The mucus made me think it had to be something strange and I knew the only thing I had put on him was the Hartz flea and tick. It was also the only thing out of his normal routine. I looked up the ingredient Phenothrin online and one of the poisoning symptoms was excess saliva, nausea, vomiting,etc. I immediately called my vet’s office and was told that Hartz is poisionous for animals, should not be on the market and has killed several animals. I was told to bathe my dog immediately to help detoxify him. I bathed him thoroughly and washed everything he had come in contact with. He remained listless through the evening and threw up several more times. However, he was able to keep his dinner down…so far. How horrible that these people are not regulated more closely! The worst part is you end up hurting your own animal without even knowing it when you were specifically trying to protect them!
I am the proud owner of a beautiful black haired persian cat. His name is Buster and last night I nearly killed him because of Hartz Flea Spray. Buster is 3 years old and the most sweet natured cat. I noticed a couple of fleas on him the other day so went out and bought the Hartz flea spray. Last night I sprayed him as per the instructions and within hours he was foaming at the mouth, seizing. He could not stand nor even meow. He just looked up at me with these huge black eyes begging me to help him. I rang the emergancy vet and they told me to bath him immediately with soft soap and if he didn’t improve immediately to bring him in. They said that Hartz is a killer and to never use the products. Pity I didn’t know that 24 hours ago. Luckily for me after the shower things seemed to be better. He was walking although a tad wobbly and meowing softly. By this morning he had improved although still tired. I can’t understand how a company can keep products on the market that are so harmful to the animals they are supposed to be aiding. It is a disgrace!