I did not know that all flea and tick medication was not created equal.   It was time to treat my dog, I was in Wal-Mart so I picked up some flea and tick medicine.  I put it on my dog just like the package says, just like I do every month (but with frontline normally…).  We went to sleep and I heard him moving a bit in the night but that is not unusual.  He got up and ate breakfast normally.  About 30 minutes after breakfast he started throwing up.  At first of course it was just his food so I thought he just had a little upset stomach and didn’t think much of it until it was mid-afternoon, he had thrown up “mucus-looking” stuff 4 more times, he was listless and had zero interest in food, his favorite thing normally.  The mucus made me think it had to be something strange and I knew the only thing I had put on him was the Hartz flea and tick.  It was also the only thing out of his normal routine.  I looked up the ingredient Phenothrin online and one of the poisoning symptoms was excess saliva, nausea, vomiting,etc.  I immediately called my vet’s office and was told that Hartz is poisionous for animals, should not be on the market and has killed several animals.  I was told to bathe my dog immediately to help detoxify him.  I bathed him thoroughly and washed everything he had come in contact with.  He remained listless through the evening and threw up several more times.  However, he was able to keep his dinner down…so far.  How horrible that these people are not regulated more closely!  The worst part is you end up hurting your own animal without even knowing it when you were specifically trying to protect them!


  1. I purchased the product because I was low on cash and couldn’t afford the frontline product. Big mistake. It did nothing for my cat. What a waste of money. I am since worried about my cat. I talked to the vet and they said cats have died from Hartz products. I found this web site. I called Hartz and they will refund for the product. I told them I will never purchase anything made by them.

  2. I will never use the product again. As soon as i put it on my cats they started acting different . I got online and immeditaly went to this website and found im not the onyly one. I bathed my cats and hope and pray that they will be ok . I do not have the money to go to the vet . If I could i would stand in the isle at the store and warn customers not to use it at all . Im very disappointed and i spent more than $5 dollars . My advise is for no one to use the products period .

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *