I trusted Hartz, a name I’ve known for pet products all my life. What a mistake. My 2-year-old shih tzu, Boo Boo, picked up fleas from some cats visiting my daughter’s apartment. I discovered the fleas while Boo Boo was with me out of town during the weekend of September 13-14. I wanted to take care of the problem quickly and would not be able to get to my vet until September 15. I went to the supermarket and bought Sergeant’s Gold Flea & Tick Squeeze-On for Dogs in the package appropriate for Boo Boo’s weight. I followed the package directions carefully and applied it about 11 p.m. on Saturday, September 13. WIthin a couple of hours, I heard Boo Boo whimpering. When I checked on him, he was squirming. I assumed the fleas were agitated by the product, so I sat up until 2:00 a.m. making sure the fleas were gone. Boo Boo was restless the remainder of the night and didn’t seem to have much energy on Sunday morning. I decided to bathe him to remove the product. (I still had no clue that he was being poisoned.) He was listless throughout the day and by Monday, September 15, he was vomiting and could hardly stand. His eyes were watery and he appeared to be in great discomfort. Debating whether to take him to the animal emergency clinic, I called my vet and made arrangements to bring him early this morning. The vet seemed to think he had eaten something contaminated until I told her that I had applied a flea treatment. “Was it one you bought at a grocery store or Wal-Mart,” she asked. When I told her what I used, she said she was almost certain Boo Boo was sickened by the product. They have seen dogs sickened and many cats with seizures. They call it “Hartz toxicity.” I asked the question everyone else seems to ask, “Why are stores selling this product?” No one can give me a good answer. It is now my personal mission to make sure everyone I talk to knows NOT to use this product.
Thank God, Boo Boo came home today and will be okay. He’s beginning to play again and can keep water and a little food down. When I Googled the product today, I was appalled to find an entire web site devoted to similar (and worse) horror stories. No pet or pet owner should experience this. My heart goes out to those whose stories I’ve read here. Boo Boo is an important part of my life and knowing that I harmed him breaks my heart. But I am angry with Hartz for not taking the product out of production NOW.