My Precious Shitzu is gone

I am still in shock even as I write this. If I had any idea what would happen to my “Precious” I would never have poisoned her! Last week we visited my husbands’ brother in California. He has a dog and that dog had fleas. When we got home I noticed 2 fleas on Precious when I gave her her evening brushing. I told my husband that we needed to go to the vet as she was out of her monthly heart worm meds (sentinal) and when we picked that up we needed to get some ADVANTAGE also. I had always used ADVANTAGE on pets for fleas in the past with no problems. I noticed that night some flea eggs in her coat. Since it was Labor Day weekend and I knew the vet wouldn’t be open on Monday I decided to pick up the HARTZ flea and tick drops at Walmart. I didn’t want to wait until Tuesday as I didn’t want the fleas to get worse. This was Saturday afternoon. I put the drops as directed down her back. That night my husband commented that Precious had went to bed early. She never does that but I didn’t think anything of it. Sunday all day she was not herself. She did not eat and she had a little diarrhea. I thought her stomach was bothering her. Monday morning I tried to get her to eat. She wouldn’t. I called the emergency vet number since they were closed for Labor Day and they said to watch her and if she didn’t get better bring her in in the morning.  Monday afternoon Precious took a turn for the worse. She couldn’t stand up and when she did she staggered when she walked. Her head flopped to the side. She was so pitiful. She just looked at me like “help me”. My husband thought about he flea drops and looked HARTZ up on the internet to see if there were side effects. That is when we found this site. I called the emergency vet back and they said to bring her in. When we got there her temp was 95 and her kidneys had begun shutting down. He said there was nothing they could do. We had to put her to sleep. My husband and I cried as we watched our baby (7 years old) but our baby die. I can not believe this happened. I cannot believe they are allowed to sell this product that is so dangerous. I am still in shock.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *