First of all, I want to let everyone know that Peewee is doing well…we are going in the morning to bring him home from the hospital. It was touch-and-go for awhile, but the vet says he should be just fine. Thank you everyone who prayed for him…there is no doubt that the prayers really worked! As I was thinking about what happened to Peewee, I began thinking back over the years…every pet that I have ever had that I used Hartz products on. Then I thought about Charlie…my 20-year-old cat. I remembered how a few years ago, we had a problem with fleas. This is pretty common around here. Anyway, I was worried that Charlie would get fleas and it could harm his health due to his age. I went to the local Dollar General store in our town and purchased a flea collar – a Hartz flea collar. I put it on him as soon as I got home. Charlie had arthritis really bad in his back legs. They were abnormally crooked due to this, but he could still walk, run and play with no problem. About a day after I put the collar on him, he began to stagger when he walked. We believed this to be just a progression of his arthritis. Not too long after that, he began to have seizures. Unfortunately, we ended up having to put our Charlie to sleep. It never occurred to us that the collar could have caused his torture. Looking back, there is no doubt in my mind this is what happened. Although Charlie was 20 years old, we may have had a few more years with him had it not been for Hartz.
Another thing that I would like to say is that I have read many posts on here. A lot of people, such as myself, had no idea what to do when their pet(s) have had a reaction to any of these products. From my personal experience, I would like to help someone through this by telling them the steps to take to ensure their pet(s) survives. The first thing you should do if you notice your pet acting strangely after applying these products is to bathe them immediately with a mild dish soap or shampoo (I used baby shampoo). You may want to do it twice to make sure to get all of the poison off of their skin. Next give a dose of Benadryl and haul a** to the nearest vet or animal hospital. From there it is in the vet’s hands. When you get home, you should wash everything that your pet came in contact with while he had the product on his skin…bed linens, his blanket, his bed. Anything that he could have gotten the product on. I even shampooed my carpet where Peewee had rolled around when he was in so much pain. You do not want to bring your baby home from the vet just to have him experience another reaction. Another thing that owners may not know…these products are extremely detrimental to cats. If your cat even comes around another animal with this product on, he could suffer the same fate as others that have lost their lives. DO NOT TAKE ANY CHANCES! Don’t think that just because you washed the product off, your pet will be fine. The poison gets into the bloodstream and spreads throughout the animal’s body. My little Peewee was literally burning from the inside out. Every part of his body was red. It was a horrible sight to see. I hope that someday, the Hartz Corporation will no longer be able to sell their poison to the unsuspecting public. Until that day, it is up to us to spread the word! God bless our pets.