Our dog Harley (WARNING HARTZ ULTRA PLUS COLLAR)

On August 4th 2008, I had bought a Hartz Ultra Guard Plus water resistant (loves to swim in our pool) flea and tick collar for our 75 lb black lab.  That day around 1:15 p.m. I had put the collar on Harley.  Thought this would be the safest thing for our family instead of the drops you put between their shoulder blades as we have used in the past.  I was afraid that my 2 boys who are 2 and 7 could get sick from the drops. Didn’t want them to get the drops on their hands and stick in their mouth or eyes.  Safe!!  Was I ever wrong.  At 2 o’clock in the morning I hear Harley licking his mouth continuously and gagging.  He gets up from his bed and takes off to the upstairs and starts to vomit all over my white carpet.  Three times he vomits on the carpet.  I immediately take him to our fenced in backyard where he stayed the rest of the night.  I scrubbed what I could out of the carpet and decided I would steam clean it in the morning.  The next day I got up and let Harley in the house and fed him his breakfast.  I took the boys to Summer camp and returned home about 10:45 a.m.  When I walked in the door Harley did not come to greet me like he always does.  I knew something was up.  I ran to the stairs and their was new vomit on the stairs of the carpet.  I called for Harley and sent him back outside.  He threw up some more and started to eat grass and act very strangely. We have had Harley since he was born and he is now 7 and I know my dog very well. We needed help fast.  I called the vet and told them how he was acting and that I had put on a flea and tick collar on him the day before.  They told me to bring him in with the box and take the collar off.  The vet read the back of the box and said it was the organophosphate chemical and that was the cause.  He also told me about 5 years ago,  Texas had a product that the public could buy to kill ants and their homes.   After people were becoming ill from using this product they had  taken it off the shelf.  (Go ahead and google the word organophosphate.)  WOW!!!!   Makes you wonder why?  It wasn’t until the next day at 5:30 I could pick Harley up.  I could not believe all the work and things they had to give him because his esophagus had swollen and that the chemical had made him so sick.  They told me I was very lucky and that he could have had died from this product.  Never again.  Then to top it off I had called Hartz to let them know what had happened.  When I got done telling what had happened to Harley, I had asked the guy what they were going to do about this and his reply was well I suppose you would like your vet bill paid for.  I said no I would really like you guys to take these products off the shelf and stop killing and making our pets sick.  He then apologize for what happened to Harley and that they go through intensive testing to make sure their products are safe. Are you kidding me? I then had said what if it was my two year old son who had gotten a hold of this and got sick or died?  Are you still going to tell me your sorry then too?  I just can’t believe this has happened and then to find out about all the other animals that this has happened to.  Well I know that this is just the beginning for me.  I will do everything I can to get this product off the shelf.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *