We used the sergeants gold flea and tick (couple bucks cheaper) on our beagle mix (60 pound dog), and within about an hour the dog was licking everything in sight and choking and hacking.  This very active and very healthy dog began pacing and salivating everywhere.  He was in obvious discomfort and when we took him outside, he ate more grass than I have ever, in all my years of pet ownership, seen.  He threw up but it did not ease his licking, pacing or heaving.  He spent the next 24 hours very lethargic and again vomiting.  We kept a close eye on him and thankfully he was eating and drinking, but he is not his usual self.  We also put it on our other beagle mix, Katie, who also threw up but seemed to have less of the effect that Badger did (he kept trying to lick her and we had to keep them separated),  I would not recommend using this product at all.  We had been using front-line and have never had this problem before.  My husband bathed both dogs and it seemed to ease the problem a bit but he is still not back to normal.


  1. I’m so sorry about what happened to Badger and Katie — and to you and your husband! The fact that these products are still on the market, after so many thousands of poisonings and deaths over the course of so many years, is outrageous and reprehensible.

    I’m going to repeat some of what I wrote in response to another submission:

    Please take Badger and Katie to your trusted vet. It’s really critical for both of them to be checked out by a professional. Here’s why:

    – You’ll feel better knowing that you’re doing everything in your power to ensure the most positive outcome for your dogs.

    – Your vet may know something about them that has implications for how they should be treated.

    – Their experiences and reactions should become a part of their medical record (this is extremely important).

    – You AND your vet need to file reports to the EPA and other agencies. Check the “Need Help?” section of this website for information on who to contact, and do it right away! Please remember that your report will be the MOST useful if you have the packaging, which contains the all-important “EPA registration number.” Reporting these events is crucial in our campaign to get this poison off the shelves.

    – Your vet needs to know how important it is for them to be proactive in warning clients against using these highly toxic products on their pets.

    Good luck, and please keep us posted!

  2. Thanks for the post. I gave my dog this wretched stuff last night. He exhibited all of the symptoms that you listed last night. I gave him a bath and the symptoms diminished rapidly. Within 10 minutes, he no longer had a foaming mouth.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *