Scooby’s neck

On June 14, 2008 at 7:30 pm I applied Hartz flea and tick drops to the back of my 7 year old cat Scooby’s neck. As of midnight he seemed to be fine, come Sunday morning at 9 he was in full body tremors, even his eyes were shaking. My sister and I immediately rushed him to Oradell Animal Hospital in New Jersey to find out that he was toxic. The vet told us that the active ingredient phenothrin is toxic in most cats and that  there may be a fatal outcome. I was devastated. The hospital immediately bathed him, hooked him up to an IV, and gave him valium and muscle relaxants. My 9 year old daughter, Skylar has been carrying around this cat like a doll since she was 2. She was heart broken. Scooby was in intensive care for almost 2 full days. He is now home recovering. We have to keep him separated from our other 4 cats until he is weened off of the muscle relaxants. He seems to be recovering slowly but surely. A dear friend of mine researched this product and found that it was recalled in 2002 but the recall was retracted and all Hartz had to do was change the warning label. The new warning label did not pertain to my cat at all! I have contacted the EPA, ASPCA, Hartz corporation, as well as Channel 4 and 7 news. I even emailed Ellen Degeneres. Our vet bill is $1515.00. I am thoroughly disappointed that Hartz is getting away with this. Something must be done NOW!!!!! Sarah Sless, North Haledon, New Jersey

One thought on “Scooby’s neck”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *