Hartz Flea Collar Poisoned my Baby

My poor kitty Shady Marie likes to go outside supervised on a harness during the summer months.  I have always purchased him flea collars to wear during those months.  I recently purchased a Hartz flea collar, I believe it was the 3 in 1 collar.  It was white with a purple stripe.  My usually vivacious pet was markedly changed within hours of putting on the collar.  He was hiding under my bed and was very lethargic, behaviors that are uncommon for him.  He has worn flea collars in the past and never behaved in this manner.  I researched and found this site.  Thankfully, I have a wonderful boyfriend who was also alerted by Shady’s odd and sickly behavior.  We immediately removed the collar and shampooed him. Within a short period of time, it was obvious he was feeling much better.  I cannot imagine what his fate would have been had I not removed this devilish collar.  This product should be banned, or at least come with a warning.  Even cigarettes have warnings.  Protect your pet, do not purchase this product.  Kristyn A Lowing

My Angels

I have a pair of cats – brothers – rescues, as all my cats have always been, and at the time I also had an older female. These sweet boys are my angels, and naturally I did not want them getting bugged by fleas, so, even though they are strictly indoor, I got them all Hartz flea collars. Within a day all were sick – drooling, unable to eat, listless. It didn’t occur to me at first that the collars were the problem, but when I called the vet, that was the first thing he asked. Apparently, by grooming each other, they were getting doubly sick from the collar’s poison.

Needless to say I removed them immediately, and the larger brother recovered quickly – the smaller brother took longer, and the female never completely recovered. She continued to lose weight and seemed emotionally traumatized. The boys kept her company and comforted her as best they could, but rather than living another few years, as she ought to have, since she had been in good health and was only 12 years old, she slowly faded and died less than 6 months later.