Sadly I did not know how severe the Hartz products are and that they can poison animals. I have a 2 1/2 year old female hungarian mudi which is approx 45 lbs, beautiful black fur with massive curls around her ears and down her back with a really thick fluffy and long tail. Then I came upon a puppy, welsh springer spaniel (4 mo’s old) who was found with no tags. I took him in and of course he had fleas, so I got Hartz Flea shampoo / citrus scent and washed him. Figuring My all black dog might have fleas too since they were in the same areas (couch, dog beds, etc.) I though I should give her a shampoo also (1st one ever) since I could in no way see them on her and she was acting like she might have some. 5 days later I starting noticing extreme amounts of fur all over beyond what typical shedding would be for her. She was always a shedding dog, but this was seeming like too much. When I went to brush her I realized she was loosing her fur and it was as if she was buzz cut. I immediately took her to the vet and he was quite concerned but it seemed too late to wash it off. He put her on a really strong allergy pill and fish oil pills. I want to know if anyone knows what I should be doing for my dog now to make her more comfortable and if this will lead to other problems? Organ issues? It saddens me to think I might have poisoned my dog with a bath. I absolutely be contacting Hartz with this complaint and possibly take this further. I sure hope she will recover from this without other issues.
Thanks, Jeanette Macleod
I once worked for a leading official in the FDA’s Center for Veterinary medicine. She said that pets are not their priority. Food animals are. That is why no action is taken against this horrid company. We should be lobbying the Government and filling the media with these stories. There is no one to advocate for Pets.
I just want every one to be aware that Sergeants flea and tick treatment is absolutely the most aweful product put on the sheves for “dogs”. I put this medication on my dog last night and he is currently in the hospital with seizures and a serious allergic reaction to this product. The vet said if I got him there just on time. Any of you animal lovers know that its like one of your children. I couldnt bare to see the pain my dog was suffering. Fortunatley he is doing better but he is still under medical care. I read a few other similar stories about this. How can a company produce such a harmful/leathal item over the counter in local super markets and get away with it? I know I know am going to have a heafty bill after this, but no amt of money matters when it comes to my dog. I just hope that this story reaches other people thinking of buying this before they do. Please do not harm your pet with this item. This is a serious issue this stuff is toxic and will harm your pet.
My cat, Mickey, started to get a bald spot on his back. The bald spot was also very red and looked painful. We didn’t know why so we took him to the vet. The vet warned us against ever using Hartz again. We immediately gave Mickey a bath, and, soon after, Mickey’s hair started to grow back. I will never use a Hartz product again for sure.
My mother passed away at 55 a couple of years ago,but for the past 10 or 15 years she had failing health which started out as a nervous breakdown and progressed into epilepsy which the doctors could never pinpoint or cure with medication or surgery, lately I am seeing co-workers of hers dying at young ages as well ,,in their 50’s from different things such as epilepsy and are developing alzheimers and other ailments in their early years,,I am just seeing this develop as a pattern and I dont really think that any of these people have any idea that some connection exists regarding their exposure to Hartz products during their employment..If anyone out there knows of any more Hartz employees with the same problems please let this forum know so that maybe some of the living can look back and see that they may have also been exposed or someone who has health problems but cant explain why.
My dog loves raw hide bones so as what I thought was a special treat I bought him the largest one in the store and it was made by Hartz. This is the first time he’s had one of their bones. He loved it but within hours he was vomiting. I wasn’t sure the bone had caused it and so I took it away and didn’t give it back till several weeks later. And exactly the same thing happened. He also got diarrhea. I’ll never buy a Hartz bone (or Hartz anything) again. I suspect that whatever is in the centre of the bone is causing it because he basically chewed a hole through the rawhide outside and sucked out the centre. Beware all dog owners, do not give your dog these bones!
Our vet, who used to give us a tablet to worm our cat, instead gave us a new product called Profender made by Bayer. It is applied topically on the shoulder blades like flea and tick medicines. Three days later she went into seizures and died of cardiac arrest at our vet’s office. He agrees that this almost certainly is the cause of her death.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?
I JUST GOT A PUPPY FROM MY NEIGHBOR AND HE WAS ALWAYS SRATCHING LIKE HE HAD FLEAS SO I BOUGHT SOME HARTZ FLEA AND TICK DROPS FOR HIS SIZE. FIRST OFF THIS IS MAKING ME VERY UPSET BECAUSE MY WIFE AND I JUST FOUND OUT THAT WE CAN’T EVER HAVE KIDS SO AFTER GREAVING WE DECIDED TO GET A PUPPY TO KINDA HAVE SOMETHING TO LOVE AND AFTER WE BOTH GET ATTATCHED TO HIM I PUT THAT CRAP ON HIM AND HE GETS EXTREMELY SICK STARTING OFF WITH VOMITTING AND DIARRHEA HE HASN’T EATEN IN THREE DAYS AND WHEN HE DRINKS WATER HE THROWS IT UP IN A MATTER OF SECONDS. WHY IS THIS SHIT STILL ON THE SHELFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My husband and I noticed one of our cats scratching, so we decided to order biospot since it was said to be the same as frontline. Well after we applied it to our 10 cats, I came home the next day to find our 5yro ragamuffin seizing on the bed. I rushed him to the hospital where he spent 2 days on steroids and valium. My husband washed the other 9 cats with dawn. Our ragamuffin still has twitches, and he has a eye problem now,,, dont trust anything over the counter with your babies….
Applied Hartz product and within 2 hours 13 year old Border Collie experienced diarreha and vomiting; lasted for 12 hours. Thank you for your website that gave me an idea of what his problem could have been!