My puppy, who is exclusively an indoor puppy, became a home for fleas after a brief escape outside. I’ve treated her at home with various products available at local retail stores. All was going well until I used Sergeant’s gold flea & tick squeeze-on for dogs. She became ill and foamed at the mouth. I referenced the box to see if there were poison control indicators and I found that the only indicators were for humans accidentally ingesting the poison. All cautionary symptons referenced humans–not the animal treated. The only mention was the potential for irritation. I first searched the Internet to look for other pet owner’s experiences. Was this a common reaction or should I take her to the vet? Medications must list precautions to human but why don’t those medicins that are marketed for pets list precautions exclusive to those pets. The hotline on the box only tells a person to take their dog to the vet, which I did. She was treated for dehydration and was bathed several times to eliminate the squeeze-on treatment. Do not use these poisons!! Consult your vet if you must and let your vet recommend a product and monitor its use. Your pet is worth it!
My wife and I have two small rat terriers. We noticed fleas and purchased many of the Hartz products to help our animals. We used two bottles of the flea spray for our apartment. We used the foggers and vacuumed the entire place (moving everything to vacuum) once or twice a week for four weeks. We also used the Hartz shampoo and the drops for our dogs with all of the treatments to our apartment. We are clean people and made sure we washed the dogs bedding every few days. After about 2 months, the dogs still have fleas. My only response is that Hartz flea products are completely useless and a joke. Don’t waste your time and money.
I have 2 cats. One a 1 1/2 years old the other 6 months. I just game them a bath today and they were cleaning each other and the next think I knew they were both having siezers. I took them to the 24 hour pet hospital and they started work right away. they have to stay the night tonight. Before i could leave them there i had to pre pay the hospital before any more action will take affect. Because of the shampoo they are both very sick. tremors, enlarged puples and just seizing. I will know how they are doing in the morning in about 9 hours. My adult cat is looking better but my kitten is having a hard time. I will be getting ahold of this company to tell them what they have done to my cats! We will be taking leagal action if we do not here a response! i just paid the vet almost 13 hundred dollars for they work they are doing to these guys to keep them alive. Because of the seizers they may have some brain damage but i will not know intill the morning. please do not use any kind of cat flea and tick shampoo. the best thing is to get something from your vet. any questions?? e-mail mommy[email protected] i will share this to all i can to prevent this from happining to another family!
my cat had fleas and i wanted to get rid of them so that my cat could have a full lif eand now .
my cat is sick BECAUSE of your unbeleivable product this is my dear cat that you have done this to .
this cat means everything to me and if i lose this cat to your stupied product then i will bring this to court that
that is my sinsier word that if my cat dies from your product then mark my word you will never here the end fo it
MARK MY WORDS !!!!!! sinserly chantelle nora brown
this will be a lawsuit if this product kill my CAT
My wife and I noticed an autumn warm-weather flea outbreak on our toy poodles. We bathed them with Sergeant’s Gold Flea and tick shampoo and then applied the Sergeant’s Gold squeeze on treatment. The 2 yr old was foaming at the mouth, shaking and couldn’t walk right. The little 6 month old just cried and cried and ran around in circles for hours. Finally we found this site, read the stories and called the Vet emergency number. We have bathed them twice in DAWN and they seem to be doing OK now. I won’t know until tomorrow though. ANYTHING THIS TOXIC SHOULD NOT BE FOR SALE OVER THE COUNTER!!
Flea Control Product Could Poison Pets
Class-Action Lawsuit Filed
POSTED: 10:50 am CST November 22, 2002
UPDATED: 11:03 am CST November 22, 2002
HOUSTON — A product that pet owners use to protect their furry friends may cause serious harm, News2Houston reported Thursday.
A few drops of a flea control product that are administered on a pet’s back may be poisoning them because of the toxins inside, which could be too strong for cats.
Some pet owners and veterinarians are calling for the product, Hartz Care Advanced Flea and Tick Drops Plus, to be pulled from store shelves.
Last May, Bob Murphy applied the drops to his cat, Little Guy. Within days, he said Little Guy became extremely ill.
"Instead of meowing or anything, he just kind of had a guttural-type sound, like he was in pain," Murphy said.
A trip to the emergency room showed that the cat suffered from toxic poisoning, the same kind that caused another cat, Kirby, to have seizures.
The common link — an insecticide named phenothrin, which is the primary ingredient found in some flea and tick products.
"They can’t detoxify it as well so it builds up in their blood stream and when it does that, it causes toxic signs of the nervous system," said Dr. William Folger, a veterinarian with Memorial Cat Hospital.
Folger said the toxins could lead to coma or death.
"Think of this as a human drug and 40 or 50 deaths have been reported, this drug would already be off the market," Folger said.
The Environmental Protection Agency is investigating Hartz due to the number, severity and consistency of adverse reaction to the product. The agency strongly recommends that proposed labeling on the package not be accepted. Officials said that they found it confusing, possibly "causing pet owners to delay treatment of potentially fatal neurological signs of toxicity."
Hartz sent News2Houston the following response.
"We would not expect following package directions and applying the appropriate dosage to cause any adverse reactions."
"We stand firmly behind these products," a Hartz spokesman said.
After months of treatment, Little Guy is on the road to recovery, though he still suffers from lingering neurological problems.
Hartz sent Murphy a reimbursement check of $1,735.50 to cover medical costs.
Hartz is reportedly working on the wording on the back of its product.
More than 350 pet owners have joined together in a class-action lawsuit against Hartz, according to News2Houston.
Experts said that pet owners should look for the following warning signs.
* Loss of appetite
* Facial twitching
* Loss of balance
Any pets that exhibit the warning signs should be taken for treatment immediately.
I RESUCED A CAT 2 WEEKS AGO AND HE HAD FLEAS SO I WENT TO THE STORE AND GOT THE HARTZ 2 IN 1 FLEA SPRAY. MY HUSBAND PUT IT ON HIM AND THEN HE FELT WEAK AND COULDNT WALK AND WAS REAL SHAKEING AND WAS JUST DOING NOTHING. I TOOK HIM TO THE VET THE NEXT MORING AND SAID THE HARTZ FLEA SPRAY MADE HIM SICK. NOW HE DIED AND I HAVE NO SRUFFY AND I LOST MY CAT.
HARTZ SHOULD BE PULLED FROM THE STORES THIS IS VERY SAD AND NOTHING I CAN DO TO BRING BACK MY CAT.
last night i treated our cat with hartz flea killer and now my cat is sick and shaking and it doesnt look good for her. I wish I would of seen this site first but after all they sell this in pet stores. this poison should be pulled from all shelves now and hartz should be held accountable!!!