Hartz 2 in 1 flea dip Kills my Labrador

It started a year ago when we brought home some fleas from my fathers house. The next day I went to walmart and bought Hartz brand flea shampoo and the flea control drops. I washed and applied the drops to My Female 3 year old choclote lab. Never has she had any heath problems. She broke out on her hind at the base of the tail. I didn’t think much of it. I just thought she was biting at the fleas and making it worse. I then got her a E-collar. Problem solved. Last week the fleas came back and in a big way. I bought the Hartz 2 in1 flea dip and followed the directions to the last word. The following morning she was not as energetic when I went to feed her. I thought nothing was wrong though. When I arrived home from work that same day, she did’t come out to greet me. I went out back and that is when I knew something was wrong. She was lying in the kennel not moving and un responsive to my calls. She was lying in a pool of her own vomit and fecies, and barely breathing. Her eyes were drooping and covered in pus. I loaded her up in the car and rushed her to the Vet. Dr. Bailey asked me all sorts of questions about anything she could have gotten into and I told him there was nothing but her water dish, her food and the kiddie pool. The next morning he called me with the bad news that she never made it though the night. He told me that her symptoms were consistant with Pyrethrin Toxicosis. This happens to be the main ingredient in all hartz flea control products. and is very toxic to humans and animals. He said he could not tell for sure unless I had her body sent off to a lab and that it would cost around $400. I could not come up with the money. But both him and I are sure it was the pyrethrin that killed her. EPA or somebody needs to have this stuff yanked off the shelf of all public stores. I wish there was something that I could do, but whatever I do will not bring her back. My male labrador now will not go in the back yard or get in the kennel. He knows she is dead, and it seems he is the most depressed about this whole suituation. If there is anything I can do please contact me at [email protected] I want to see this stuff off of the shelf. It is way too toxic for anyone to handle or administer to their pets.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *