for christmas, i bought my two cats a hartz toy–one of those types that is styled after a fishing pole, with a long elastic string and a furry toy at the end. both cats became ill from playing with this toy.
they were both taken to the vet, who could find nothing wrong with them in bloodwork or urinalysis (costly tests!). one of the cats had ingested a small portion of the string, and that, understandably is not the fault of hartz…we should have better supervised him when playing with the toy. the other cat, however, became ill just from chewing on the string. (perhaps it’s the dye used to make the string bright orange, or the elastic inside the string?)
as much as they loved this toy, i’ll never buy them another one.