My poor kitty…

My poor, elderly kitty cat escaped from her happy home for a mere two minutes and came back with fleas. It had been many years since she’d been infected, and I only remembered that my vet had given me some drops to put on her which alleved her condition. The flea infestation affected kitty’s health, but the worst was yet to come. I wouldn’t be at this site if I hadn’t stupidly purchased Hartz Flea Drops for Cats at the grocery. Like so many other pets, she became ill. My beautiful, graceful cat, companion of 16 years, became sloppy and uncoordinated, unable to judge distances nor to leap with pinpoint precision. I didn’t need a veterinarian to tell me that I had poisoned my cat. I was horrified that I had done this to her. I wiped the poison off as best I could, and consulted a vet, who verified that Hartz Flea Drops were the absolute worst thing one could put on a cat…ineffective and dangerous. It took approximately two months for kitty to return to her former gloriousness. She is still with me, having adopting her at age two from the Wood County Animal Shelter in Bowling Green, Ohio. When I acquired her in 1990, I had no idea that the commitment I made to her would last this long. I’m ever so grateful that my cat did not die from my carelessness in using this product. I thought it would be less expensive than taking her to the vet.

Scared for my little boy…

I go to school in Birmingham (AL), but I live in Huntsville when I’m not in school. My boyfriend and I have two cats, a year-old silver tabby and a seven-month-old orange tabby, small for his age. They’re my baby boys, and I love them to pieces…

So, Thursday, a friend and I drove up to Huntsville for the night. When we got back to the house, I noticed that Yoda (the orange tabby) had a lot of fleas. I’ve been using the Hartz stuff on Sephiroth (the silver tabby) and it hadn’t bothered him, and last time I put it on him, I put a little bit on Yoda to see if it bothered him. So I figured it was all right, you know?

The next morning, he couldn’t walk, or even stand up. He didn’t want to eat or drink, and he was shaking. My boyfriend took him to the vet because my friend and I had to get back to Birmingham, and they diagnosed it as a reaction to the Hartz stuff. It’s been about 84 hours now… my mother’s been taking care of Yoda, feeding him nutrient solution (from the vet) through a little dropper, and cleaning him up because he can’t use the litter box 🙁 She emailed me today and said that he has been walking a little–still wobbly, but at least we know he’s gonna make it.

I was really scared for a while. I feel responsible, because I put the stuff on him… I don’t know what I’d have done if he hadn’t made it. I know I’m not the only one who’s been through this, and I’m praying that no one else has to.